Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

iPad head unit installation

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
After contacting multiple members of this site and receiving no reply I thought I'd start yet another iPad head unit install thread.

Firstly, I need someone to make me a custom facia to surround the iPad and hold it in place for a 2007 VE Berlina.

Secondly, I need guidance, if there is anyone that's experienced and is willing to assist me in the installation I would love to talk to you.

Thirdly, I want to retain the steering wheel controls, is this possible? Does the iPad itself connect to an audio out which leads to a head unit mounted in the glove box?

I want this to look as clean and as factory as possible, I have the cash set aside for this project and I'm looking to start it fairly soon, I live in the south-eastern suburbs of Melbourne, if anyone in the area can shed some light on the installation that would be great!

Last but not least, has HVAC software for an iPad been released yet? If I can I would rather not buy the separate HVAC LCD but if it needs to be done than so be it!

Thanks,
Chris

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Read SLY6's thread. He's done it. As well as a few others. I think this is the 3rd thread in as many days on the same thing.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Read SLY6's thread. He's done it. As well as a few others. I think this is the 3rd thread in as many days on the same thing.

I'm very aware of who's done it and who hasn't, I made this thread for information which I can't seem to find anywhere else, there may be other threads but I'm 100% genuinely interested in getting this project going in the next few weeks if I can get pointed in the right direction.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Currently I'm doing almost the exact install you are talking about.
I'm going to have steering wheal controls and a custom facia that allows the iPad to be quickly removed.
I have a JVC head unit in my glove box and AXXESS unit connected to the GMLAN connection to retain SW controls.
The iPad 3 will be connected to the JVC unit via USB to control it via the SW.
I will also have a reverse camera sending a video stream to a LCD in my rear view mirror.
I will also have the HVAC LCD in the upper dash, however i think the iPad HVAC unit if not far off.

for a little inspiration hear are some other installs
img0656d.jpg

img0658kn.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalkn.jpg

dscf5027c.jpg

img0280dq.jpg

screenshot20120320at121.png

WELSHH

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE 6lt SS Ute
How much does it cost to get all this done to an ss, parts and all, roughly?

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Not including the iPad call it about $500 no including labour

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Currently I'm doing almost the exact install you are talking about.
I'm going to have steering wheal controls and a custom facia that allows the iPad to be quickly removed.
I have a JVC head unit in my glove box and AXXESS unit connected to the GMLAN connection to retain SW controls.
The iPad 3 will be connected to the JVC unit via USB to control it via the SW.
I will also have a reverse camera sending a video stream to a LCD in my rear view mirror.
I will also have the HVAC LCD in the upper dash, however i think the iPad HVAC unit if not far off.

So i hope im not the only one who has thought about my below points.

1. You have just taken a stereo system that works and added to more links to the chain, making the system all the more prone to failure.
2. you do realise there are ADR's around rearview mirrors. Also does the camera disengage whilst driving? And how much rearview mirror are you left with?
3. What will you use to combat glare? You cant tell me that at no point whilst driving on a sunny day that the screen wont get glare.
4. Not having a solid go to point for your hand will mean that you are more likely to focus on the ipad whilst driving to change volume and select songs. same goes for the HVAC lcd. Again you cant tell me you'll never get distracted by it.
5. This seems like alot of work just to have touch controls, which will suck when software crash's/fails.

-SpydeR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
After contacting multiple members of this site and receiving no reply I thought I'd start yet another iPad head unit install thread.

Fantastic idea mate. I too wish to get started on this project, so maybe we can collaborate our ideas in this thread. I'm hoping Westy27 and maybe even VegasNate can help us out with regards to any questions we have about the iPad installation as their installs look fantastic.

Firstly, I need someone to make me a custom facia to surround the iPad and hold it in place for a 2007 VE Berlina.

This is one thing which I am interested in also. Whilst I wouldn't mind attempting to make my own, I need to be pointed in the right direction in regards to what Westy27 and VegasNate have made their fascias out of. If it's fibreglass then how is the base shape made prior to building up the fibreglass? Or is it just a piece of thin MDF that is wrapped in leather, vinyl etc...

Secondly, I need guidance, if there is anyone that's experienced and is willing to assist me in the installation I would love to talk to you.

By looking at the installs that Westy27 and VegasNate have done, here is what I can gather:

- The original radio is left in place as a means of connecting to the factory speakers, steering wheel controls and listening to pre-set radio stations.
- The original radio fascia is removed allowing room for the iPad
- The iPad is connected using the composite AV cables (the one with a USB connection) into the Rear AUX of the factory head unit (White/Red RCA connections)
- The iPad is connected to power/charge using the composite AV cables USB connection. This may be attached to an Ipad in-car cigarette lighter charger?
- The factory trim on the left and right hand sides of the radio must be modified to fit the iPad in a landscape orientation
- The HVAC unit is connected to the appropriate wires using the 16-Pin bluetooth connector that is unused behind the glove box

Thirdly, I want to retain the steering wheel controls, is this possible? Does the iPad itself connect to an audio out which leads to a head unit mounted in the glove box?

Yes you can retain the steering wheel controls, provided that you leave the factory head unit in. This is only limited to adjusting the volume and changing radio stations though. The iPad is therefore connected to the factory head unit situated behind the iPad itself.

Last but not least, has HVAC software for an iPad been released yet? If I can I would rather not buy the separate HVAC LCD but if it needs to be done than so be it!

As far as I can tell, VegasNate is still developing and beta testing the HVAC software for the iPad. Therefore if you're looking for the project to be complete in the near future then you'll have to opt for the separate HVAC LCD.