Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

iphone 7

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Apple Launched its new Iphone 7.

Ive had my Samsung Galaxy S5 for a couple years now, been a great phone. but i think ill be upgrading to one in the near future.

Key things to know
Stereo speakers
Water and dust resistant
Longer battery life: Apple says the 7's battery will last two hours longer than the 6, and the 7 Plus battery lasts one hour more than the 6 Plus.
Comes in jet black, black, gold, silver, rose gold
A10 Fusion chip with a 64-bit four core CPU

Camera
The new camera has optical image stabilisation and a 6 element lens with f/1.8 aperture. Apple claims it's 60% faster than previous iPhones. The iPhone 7 has a single lens camera; the 7 Plus has a dual lens camera (wide angle and telephoto).

On the iPhone 7 Plus there's a new 'portrait' effect on the camera to add depth of field to photos.

Headphones will connect via the Lightning port. A free set comes with with the phone, plus an adaptor for traditional 3.5mm jack headphones

Apple are also releasing their new AirPods - wireless headphones (with a microphone) that have infrared sensors that detect when they're in your ear and only play then. W1 chip connects the AirPods to your other Apple devices. The batteries last for 5 hours and the AirPods come with a charging case that holds 24 hours of charge.

php0phsp8.jpg

ive also been with Telstra, but think ill move to Optus. after seeing the deals they offer - it makes Telstra look like an absolute rip off.

eg: $85 Plan - 7Gig of data, unlimited calls/msgs, free music streaming from certain apps without using your data.

i was paying $87 through Telstra and got 1.5Gig and none of the other stuff.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I moved to Optus. Call quality isn't the same as Telstra, but it's worth putting up with for the extra value.

I get 10gb of data, unlimited calls and sms for $45/month which is far better than any of Telstra's offerings. My main concern was coverage, but there doesn't seem to any considerable difference - even in rural areas.

Telstra have some really good deals for 'new' customers but don't seem to look after their existing customers in the same way - and that's why I changed carriers.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Very nice, but for the time being I'll stay with my 5s.

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
Better off waiting for the 8 (or whatever it will be called) as it will be a much more significant update. Don't get me wrong, I loved my iPhone 6 Plus and in April went to the Galaxy S7 edge, but this new iPhone is more of the same mostly.

i was paying $87 through Telstra and got 1.5Gig and none of the other stuff.

Well I pay $95 with Telstra and that INCLUDES the top of the line Galaxy S7 edge handset, unlimited calls, SMS, MMS and voice mail, plus 9 gig of included data. So I don't know what's bad value about that. If I take out the $54 handset payment component, it's $41 per month.

Call quality isn't the same as Telstra, but it's worth putting up with for the extra value.

Wait, so in terms of value for money you exclude quality of the network? Um...... ok? Does Optus even have VoLTE or 4GX?

0d51019a32.jpg

My main concern was coverage, but there doesn't seem to any considerable difference - even in rural areas.

I live 40mins from the Melbourne CBD (an hour in peak traffic) and the ONLY mobile coverage we have is Telstra. Nobody else works where we live. And we're in a FTTH area too! Haha! That may all change though depending on the ACCC outcome of their fresh investigation into declaration of mobile roaming. I.e. roaming regulation. Nocookies | The Australian

[/QUOTE]Telstra have some really good deals for 'new' customers but don't seem to look after their existing customers in the same way - and that's why I changed carriers.[/QUOTE]

You need to get in touch with them. The deal I'm on as per the above was after I spoke with them. They're keen to be a lot more flexible these days to retain customers.

But if you want bare bones and good service, check out Aldi mobile. They use the Telstra network (and since may, that includes 4G). If you want to check out someone silimar that uses the Optuse network, try Vaya.

Last edited:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
new iphone? blah... just a very good reason to stay with my Android phone (Samsung S5)

no headphone jack, no battery change possible, no xtra memory possible
plus very exxie $

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
new iphone? blah... just a very good reason to stay with my Android phone (Samsung S5)

no headphone jack, no battery change possible, no xtra memory possible
plus very exxie $

not to have a iphone/android battle as both phones have pro's and con's over each other.

this is where i lost it for Telstra and Samsung. when i first signed up for the S5 contract, the girl sold me on the stay connect insurance option. she told me any damage like cracked screen, losing the phone, fault etc would be covered by a replacement.

about 5 months ago i dropped it while vacuuming, it landed on the carpet but i guess it was on the right angle to crack/kill the LCD screen. i went and saw a repair guy (aussie) he was a honest bloke and told me to use the stay connect option which i totally forgot i had. went to Telstra and the guy gave me their office phone and i spoke to they stay connect team.. running thru everything, and everything is was going great and then he goes 'one last final question andrew, is the tab over the charging port still in tact' i laughed and said "nah mate, that broke off in the first 2 months" not thinking anymore.

he goes 'unfortunately Samsung deems that phone no longer water proof, as such we are able to send the phone back meaning the phone is no longer covered by stay connect' i went nuts at this bloke. its a plastic tab that is bound to break to charge the battery.

he didnt give 2 shits. while i was on the phone i pulled the cover off and said 'theres 2 screws holding that tab it, how about i get a new tab, screw it in and boom everythings all good' he goes 'no, that would mean the phone has been tampered with and no longer covered still' it was a losing battle. i demanded a refund for the last 2 years of paying for something that i was told covered everything but didnt (got nothing back)

in the end, i cancelled the stay connect and took it down to the asians and paid $200 to have it fixed.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I have a Note 5 and is an outstanding phone. The wife has the Note 3 and that phone is so good that Samsung have not came out with a phone significantly better than the Note 3. The only thing that I can say the Note 5 is better at, is the Camera; takes some darn clear pictures at low light levels.

On the iPhone... blah...! They are not that good, unleess all you have are Apple products (ecosystem lockdown). GM use some called Projection Mode on the infotainment; the OS is Open Source Blakberry Developed QNX. Any Android phone, from any carrier and manufacturer, kicks some royal ass; just plug and play... iPhone with Apple Car Play has some issues. Apple fanboys cannot understand why their phone does not work; they need to buy an Apple Car to make it work.

iPhone 7 is not a big deal beside the superstitious that believe on the Lucky #7, in another hand... the Chinese might want to wait for the iPhone 8. That is their lucky number. I bet for that alone Apple will sell iPhones like crazy in the Asian market.

Water Resistant? Samsung Galaxy S5 is that way. I had one and rinsed the phone in a swiming pool. You should see the proples faces when I dunked the phone in the water and worked. Gave the phone to my 10 yr old daughter, she needs that feature more than I do.

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
I,m just looking now at upgrading my S5 to an S7,had iphones in the past and as a phone I was happy with it, just hated having to do everything through itunes.

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
I swear I replied to this thread...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
another year, another incremental upgrade - Apple are straight up out of ideas.