Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

IRS Control Arm Bushes........what's everyone done ?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
And that's why all these so-called experts fit nothing but urethane in these parts of an IRS vehicle.

and it's all because they don't know either !

More a case of the modern "experts" only check out via make and model, rather than digging deeper like yourself....

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
More a case of the modern "experts" only check out via make and model, rather than digging deeper like yourself

Yep and that's why we all get smart arse comments from certain members on here.

Lack of education and just follow the leader mentality, it's contagious believe me.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yes you are correct as it is a McKay issue but they are the only suppliers of rubber componentry, and as such I don't want any of that Urethane shite. I much prefer rubber just like the manufacturer ordered right from the start.

By the way I think Kelpro is now owned by McKay and as such they don't have a rubber listing for these bits either as they are the other option for genuine rubber.

Yes but in VP-VS if you go rubber you don't get a toe adjuster. If you're happy with an inferior IRS then use all OE bushes. But remember Holden actually had to add toe adjustment to the IRS setup as it was needed.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't have a hate for modern urethane type bushes, I fit them myself and am happy with their performance. I've not had a Superpro bush fail on me (give it another 5 years and we will see), I've had issues with Nolathane and Noltec but that was a long time ago.

I've had issues with Mckay stuff so it's horses for courses so to speak.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes but in VP-VS if you go rubber you don't get a toe adjuster. If you're happy with an inferior IRS then use all OE bushes. But remember Holden actually had to add toe adjustment to the IRS setup as it was needed.

It wasn't till VXII that the toe links became standard fitment.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I thought the biggest issue with the older IRS was camber. I looked at a VT when they were fairly new but it would been useless for my caravan. Southern Holden salesman said they fit HD shocks and it takes care of the issue. I thought pfffft and walked away. Ended up with a Ford that had no such issues..... The engine and shoddy repairs done by Profix however, now that was a different story......

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It wasn't till VXII that the toe links became standard fitment.

Yea but if you use urathane on the inner pivot you get toe adjustment on the early girls.
I've done hundreds in rubber and urathane. You can't fit the later arms either as the later crossmember is slightly wider on the later girls except VT.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I thought the biggest issue with the older IRS was camber. I looked at a VT when they were fairly new but it would been useless for my caravan. Southern Holden salesman said they fit HD shocks and it takes care of the issue. I thought pfffft and walked away. Ended up with a Ford that had no such issues..... The engine and shoddy repairs done by Profix however, now that was a different story......

Yes camber is an issue that is why you fit the offset outer buses in rubber as they max camber to positive. Then if you add toe adjustment you can correct all the issues.

In the later ones camber was not as much as an issue if standard hight but still became an issue even slightly lowered.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea but if you use urathane on the inner pivot you get toe adjustment on the early girls.
I've done hundreds in rubber and urathane. You can't fit the later arms either as the later crossmember is slightly wider on the later girls except VT.

My point been that ^^^ applies to any IRS car from VP to VX (without the factory toe adjustment). on the early cars you fit the double adjustable kits so you can adjust toe and camber. On anything with the factory toe adjustment you can still fit the adjustable bushes to get camber adjustment.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
My point been that ^^^ applies to any IRS car from VP to VX (without the factory toe adjustment). on the early cars you fit the double adjustable kits so you can adjust toe and camber. On anything with the factory toe adjustment you can still fit the adjustable bushes to get camber adjustment.

You don't need dual adjusters. You only need a offset outer and a adjustable inner on the old ones. The way the inner adjusters work you adjust toe and camber at the same time.

On the later ones urathane will stress the arm so it's recomended to to use rubber. We used to do a before camber measurement on the aligner and I would offset the offset bushes to even up the camber. This was risky because once in that was it.