Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

IRS Control Arm Bushes........what's everyone done ?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You kinda contradict yourself there, you don't need an outer camber adjuster but then you have a alignment machine so you can measure before and then fit an offset bush to correct. I don't have that luxury so using both adjustable bushes means I can fit and full adjustment can be achieved by the wheel alignment shop.

On my early girl I'm contemplating moving the location of the holes a touch by welding on new plates, with SSL springs it has way to much camber. Ideally I'd like to fit the toe adjusters but that is a lot of work and means more hassles with the licensing people.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You kinda contradict yourself there, you don't need an outer camber adjuster but then you have a alignment machine so you can measure before and then fit an offset bush to correct. I don't have that luxury so using both adjustable bushes means I can fit and full adjustment can be achieved by the wheel alignment shop.

On my early girl I'm contemplating moving the location of the holes a touch by welding on new plates, with SSL springs it has way to much camber. Ideally I'd like to fit the toe adjusters but that is a lot of work and means more hassles with the licensing people.

You only need to do the wheel alignment thing on later rear ends as the inner bush can't be changed to urathane. And adding urathane to the outer tightens the rear up to much and makes the toe adjuster hard use.

Sorry I should've clarified that.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I should also mention the later toe adjuster rear ends had a different bush on the inner pivot. This was to allow the extra movment for the adjuster. The bush was a phenolic cased rubber bush unlike the older bush style.
If you put urathane in that pivot it can snap the toe arm.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You don't need dual adjusters. You only need a offset outer and a adjustable inner on the old ones. The way the inner adjusters work you adjust toe and camber at the same time.

On the later ones urathane will stress the arm so it's recomended to to use rubber. We used to do a before camber measurement on the aligner and I would offset the offset bushes to even up the camber. This was risky because once in that was it.

So you risked getting it right just putting the bush in hoping you got the camber and toe correct with one bush.... :rolleyes:

To do it properly, you either use 2 offset bushes or 1 off set bush with the toe adjuster....This allows precise adjustment of both camber and toe...Not just a wing and a prayer set like you are mentioning

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
If I may, I have two Acclaim sedans with IRS and both are also running everything factory standard.

I have absolutely no uneven tyre wear and no camber issues and with returning the Grange to full factory spec I see no issues to be had especially when it's back at factory ride height.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If I may, I have two Acclaim sedans with IRS and both are also running everything factory standard.

I have absolutely no uneven tyre wear and no camber issues and with returning the Grange to full factory spec I see no issues to be had especially when it's back at factory ride height.

Well if you're happy then do it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I agree, if you run stock height it isn't an issue. Even at factory FE2 height in our VXII Calais it only has minor rear camber that has no adverse effect on rear tyre wear.

But, go to SL or SSL springs and it's a different story. On my Senator on SSL springs the rear tyres are practically down to the chords on the inner edge with literally zero wear on the outer edge like the day it was pulled from the tyre mould machine.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Whole point my suggestion is you get the best of both worlds.
You can adjust the rear and keep the same ride.
If you're going to all the trouble to pull the arms out you may aswell take advantage.

But I'm just giving advice so do as you do.