Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Irs into vk

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
better handling ? A good IRS setup will outhandle any live axle setup
The panhard rod, live axle on Commodores isn't a great system, even a Watts link conversion would be a big improvement (something I've considered)
Sure the IRS on any Holden up to VZ is fairly crap
but I would adapt a VE IRS under the VH (if it is indeed possible), if I had plenty of cash to throw around

I have actually been planning out a watts linkage setup to my VK I have been buying brackets & odds and ends for the last 2 years to do it even have the diff backing plate for it

I think a watts link setup would be more possible on an early VK and certianly easier to do

cheers
scott

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I have actually been planning out a watts linkage setup to my VK I have been buying brackets & odds and ends for the last 2 years to do it even have the diff backing plate for it

I think a watts link setup would be more possible on an early VK and certianly easier to do

cheers
scott

yeah it wouldn't be hard to do, they did it to the Grp C and Grp A Commodores, and I have found a few people who have done the conversion on other forums. There is one guy at the moment who is doing it with his Grp C replica VK on the SC forum. Personally, I'd like to have the watts link pivot point on the chassis (rather than the diff plate) and make it slide adjustable so that you could get the roll centre right. Then of course you need to get it engineered. If you have a borg warner diff, you could just use a Falcon backing plate with the watts link pivot and just weld a couple of brackets to the chassis for the links.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
yeah it wouldn't be hard to do, they did it to the Grp C and Grp A Commodores, and I have found a few people who have done the conversion on other forums. There is one guy at the moment who is doing it with his Grp C replica VK on the SC forum. Personally, I'd like to have the watts link pivot point on the chassis (rather than the diff plate) and make it slide adjustable so that you could get the roll centre right. Then of course you need to get it engineered. If you have a borg warner diff, you could just use a Falcon backing plate with the watts link pivot and just weld a couple of brackets to the chassis for the links.

Im using the falcon setup on my car, easily engineered pretty much bolt on no hassles. I just need to get time to fit it all up, Im running a borgwarner diff so its going to fit very easily

cheers
Scott

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Im using the falcon setup on my car, easily engineered pretty much bolt on no hassles. I just need to get time to fit it all up, Im running a borgwarner diff so its going to fit very easily

cheers
Scott

should be good, would be interesting to hear back the handling results when you get it done.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6

cheers
Scott

mate if u could post pics/start thread when u get around to bolting it in that would be very much appreciated by a few on here im sure! i might end up doing this to my vs one day

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Woah man, i can't be bothered reading all that...:p I skimmed over it though.

I'm aware there are cars with better IRS set-ups than a Commodore, however, the OP is intending on using a VT type set up which is rubbish to put it nicely. I can't see the point of going to all that trouble to end up with a crap IRS design, there is no point at all. Might aswell just stick with the live axle and make it handle (even if that means going to watts link, which will be a lot cheaper and easier).

If you are going to all that trouble, you would want to make sure it's going to be streets ahead of the current set up, with pre VE IRS is not.

You simply can not compare Commodore IRS to the likes of the Bugatti, Ferrari, Porsche etc., its no where near even in the same league as those set ups. Sure, if OP was saying he was going to fit one of those set ups (or custom fabricated) then by all means, go right ahead, but Commodore IRS? Come on....

I'd choose any live axle over Commodore IRS, any day of the week.

Woah man, i can't be bothered reading all that...:p I skimmed over it though

24196563-16.png