Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

IRS Question

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
looks to be IRS but if anyone wants to back me up or correct me, please do...
it looks alright from here, but what you need to do is jack it up, take a wheel off and have a look for yourself. what you're looking for is the coils at either end to be fairly tightly wound around the bumpstops. if they aren't and there looks to be a fair bit of room between the coil and the bumpstop then you might be in trouble.

Toddlez

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Acclaim
Thanku SO much 4 all ur help Cruzn. I havnt got a jack or anythin so ill have 2 take it 2 my otha m8s house n check.

Toddlez

Reaction score
Members Ride
nah i dnt wanna jack it 2 c if its irs, i wanna make sure the springs arnt cut. Im pretty sure there not now...the day b4 yesterday I got really lost on the way 2 clunes n i was on sum outback wolfcreek lookin dirt road that was very rough n the springs didnt jump out. but lyk i said b4 i just wanna b absolutly sure, i gotta drive 2 sydney soon n i dnt wanna b stranded because of sumthin so stupid

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
...you dont need a jack to check if you have IRS

I can pick a IRS VP-VS from about 100 meters away :) they stand out pretty good

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
...you dont need a jack to check if you have IRS

i agree, but it might be easier to check to see if the springs have been cut if its jacked up with the wheel off. it's a bit hard to tell from the photo and i've seen a photo of the car - lowered with a kit makes it a bit harder to see one would assume...

Thanku SO much 4 all ur help Cruzn. I havnt got a jack or anythin so ill have 2 take it 2 my otha m8s house n check.

no probs mate, if i can help someone with something like this it's a bonus. as i said, i dont think they'd be cut as they look like IRS springs and they would've fallen out by now, i would assume... let us know how you go
CC

Toddlez

Reaction score
Members Ride
lol funny u mention the bodykit. i dunno if its because of that, or how low it looks, or cause i look 15 but ive neva seen so many cops in this town till i bought this car. B4 u would b lucky 2 c 1 cop car a week, ive seen 4 just 2day, n yesterday there were 10 undercover/unmarked cars parked in a dead end street, dnt think that was cause of me though :p

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
wots an easier way to tell greenfoam? apart from camber :D

Well apart from them looking totally different when following them from behind (looking under it). The whole stance of the car is different thanks to the rear camber