Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

IRS Question

Toddlez

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Acclaim
Hey, a m8 of mine had a look at the springs on my VS n said that they had been cut, but anotha m8 told me that its imposible to cut IRS springs, so whoz rite?? Theres alot of cops around my town atm n i really dnt wanna get defected :p

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
at the end of the day theyre just springs, they can be cut

jack it up and have a look yourself.. generally obvious when theyve been tampered with

GMH304

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Executive 5 spd Manual
i always thought it was impossilbe to cut irs springs..would be a scary ride if they where cut..

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
depends on if yours is IRS or not. there's a few ways to tell. the panel under the radio will have an "IRS" logo on it, or alternatively look at the springs themselves. IRS springs are not the same diameter the whole way up and down the spring. the coils are thinner up top and down the bottom, and fatter in the middle (Not the actual metal, but the coil as a whole). a Non-IRS spring is a perfect cylindrical shape the whole way up and down.

now you know the differences, it's easy to see why people cut the Non-IRS. as the shape is the same for the entire spring, there appears to be no drama. Cutting an IRS spring on the other hand, takes out the top/bottom that help seat the spring and hold it in place. If it's stupid to cut non IRS springs, it's a death wish cutting IRS springs.

if you need pics or a better explanation let me know. in case it is live axle (Non-IRS), as you are probably aware, it is dangerous, impractical and illegal to cut springs.
hope this helps. cheers
CC

Toddlez

Reaction score
Members Ride
Under the radio it has the abs logo, I would have a look at the springs myself but I havnt got anythin 2 jack the car up with n because I kno so little about cars it probably wouldnt do me 2 much good anywayz. Id love 2 c sum pics if you've got any. Also, is there any other way to tell if its IRS without jackin it up?

GAMBLR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
stick your head under there and look

i would suggest that also. with most commodores you can see the springs by looking under the rear behind the wheels.

However, since you asked, i shall provide...

90%20Series%20Prado%20Lovells%20coils%20800%20web.jpg

These ARE NOT commodore springs (Cant get on ebay at work lol) but commodore ones are just different size. The middle two are rear springs for a Live Axle, and (this is a bit of guesswork, i haven't had anythingto do with LARS) the bumpstop sits in the top and bottom of the spring. If coils were cut off, the spring changes in height, but the width is not affected, as it is a constant width the entire spring. Not that I condone it, but it can be done.

939929i_18.jpg

These are IRS coils. Note that the coil is fatter in the middle than at the top and bottom ends. Also note the coil ends are tight to fit just over the bumpstops (i believe its bumpstops anyway). This is what prevents them from falling out. You can see now if they were cut off, the bigger space for the bumpstop would allow the spring to move around and leap out as soon as you hit a bump.

Just thinking about it, urs is an Acclaim correct? AFAIK VS acclaims had IRS as an option, so it may or may not have IRS. I would think though, if it did with cut IRS coils, they would've bounced out by now...
Have a look at yours as soon as you get the chance, just lie on the ground and have a look under. Your springs are more than likely black from factory. see what shape it is and go from there. also check the spring for signs of being cut. whether it's IRS or LARS and it is cut, i strongly suggest replacing them wiht standard or replacement lowered springs ASAP
Cheers
CC

Toddlez

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea its an acclaim, and I called the guy who sold it 2 me and he says that there not cut, but I just wanna b absolutely sure. I had a look at the spring and from what I can tell there IRS springs, and I dont think there cut, but ill show you a foto anywayz. Anotha dumb question, how can I upload the photo so its not an attachment?

GAMBLR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
i'm not 100% sure what you mean by that. When it's uploaded, click the 'Attachments' icon again and click the photo u want to insert. puts it in the message itself.
only other option is to use a image sharing site like photobucket