Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is 11.5 seconds possible from a 355 stroker?

Colby844

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP exec yep ex cop
Hi ya i have a step dad who used to drag race a charger powerered by a 340 back in the late 70's early 80's and ran a best time of 11.6 it was all old school 850 holley etc he ran 5.13 diff gears and 7000rpm thru the lights he has the time cards and pics etc to prove all this the car still runs by someone at adelaide raceway sometimes anyhows adelaide raceway is kinda getting back on track and i wondererd what it would take to beat his 11.6? He laughs everytime thinks i dont stand a chance but i have an old VN ex cop patrol car sitting in the backyard doing nothing id love to turn into a drag car and am wondering how to go about it? the car has a 4.11 spooled diff B@M shifter and a few other bits in it now so thats a start but more importantly what engine gearbox combo could possibly do it remembering i have to use only old school rules no forced induction allowed - he says i can stroke an efi 304 to 355 so with the right cam etc could it run that quick with the right suspension rim size and slicks? ive had torana's with 308's and many V8 commodores and have rebuilt and fitted engines many times but drag racing im a little in the dark with? for instance which gearbox are used these days i recall a turbo 350 modified plus hi stall was a good choice once i know everyone will say an LS1 chev would be the better choice but i like the holden engine and things could get expensive real quick if i start making wrong choices! i was thinking of buying a defected V8 VN etc or pranged one and use the engine for the rebuild to a 355 and have all the wiring and bits to change over and run it injected or would it be better to change it to a hi-rise manifold and holley? how bout even an old school 350 chev that im told are only used these days as boat anchors? - id like to hear if anyones found a simple combo thats suprised them on how quick it was or found getting into 11 second times is difficult i can rember when 13 second quarter mile times were quick - remember theres been no drag racing at adelaide for 10 years so i know things have changed alot and am well aware i need to get hold of an andra rule book and follow it to the letter- thanks for any advice anyone can give it would be much appreciated

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
With those old 304's you have to get a good manifold in order to get any potential from a big cam. 355, twin throttle manifold and a cam to suite and you would be on your way. Also would need new fuel pump and injectors.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
U looking to compete apples for apples? Same as ur dad? As in no forced induction, no nos? Or are U just aiming for 11.5 no matter how u get there

5l will take some work and cash to get it quick, ls1 will take less work but may cost U the same due to the higher cost of the engine..

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Yes, a 335 could run a 11.5

Just depends what's wrapped around it.

Colby844

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP exec yep ex cop
thanks heaps guys thats exactly what i needed to know yes im not allowed to use NOS etc and the dollars will be the way to get the job done in the end no matter what i do but ive decided to do it as i reckon i will just enjoy it and it dont matter none how long it takes but yes 11.5 its gotta eventually get too no matter what - all work and bugger all else in my life has bought this on and ive always liked the drags - thanks again i love this forum ive always had nothing but good advice from it :)

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Very possible, Google is your friend..

Start with googling "stowln" and also troll through streetcommodores etc, searching is the only way to get every piece of info otherwise it will cost you even more.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem