Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is 12.6 V normal??

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
I just got me a 05 VZ SS (YAY!) and loving it! Night and day between the V8 and the V6.

Anyway...the car has a few issues. The following is what is constantly on the display screen:

1. ABS fault
2. Brake (the handbrake warning is always on)
3. Service engine soon (and no, it wont go off)

Aside from the above, every time i drive the car, sooner or later, the car goes in safe mode and reads "safety mode reduced performance". A quick search on this issue and i hear its because of the throttle position sensor going bad or something. Whenever it does that the car accelerates really slow. I have to turn it off, lock the car with the remote, unlock it, and start it again for it to clear...few mins later...it does it again.

Traction control doesn't work. I press the button and nothing happens. It says "trac off" on the display screen.

I did a Tech II scan and the following codes showed (no check engine on display though):

1. P0135 - O2 sensor heater sensor circuit (Bank 1 sensor 1)
2. P0522 - Engine oil sensor low voltage
3. P0523 -
4. 2125 - Accelerator pedal position sensor 2 circuit range / performance. (love to know what this one means. Obviously, it hast to do with the "safety mode reduced performance" mode the car keeps on going in. But what exactly do i have to do to fix this issue)
5. This is regarding ABS - FO: DTC 55 (according to manual it is "rear axle valve solenoid) Again, would love to know what that means and what needs to be done.

Another thing is, i always have to boost start the car. If i turn it off, it will not start unless i boost it.

Checked the voltage through the diagnotic mode and with a multimeter and it is producing 12.6 Volts. Now i am wondering...could all of the above issues be due to the low volatge??? (thats if it is a low voltage).

Cheers!!

leethal1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6, HG monaro
is the voltage with the car running or not? running it is low, should be around 13.5-14v, when the car is not running with the ignition on this is ok. take it to an autosparky and get the battery tested.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
My guess is the battery is on its way out.... It's common in the vz's when the battery is getting low

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
What's the oil level like?

As said the battery voltage should be 12.6 volts cold and not running, and 13.5-14v running. If its at 12.6v running I would say the alternator may be on its way out.

The throttle position could be one of 2 things, either the actual accelerator pedal, or the throttle body, make sure the connections are plugged in properly.

If oil level is good, replace the oil level sensor. Also replace the o2 sensors, that will give you better fuel ecconomy and power if one of them is screwed

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
Quote..Traction control doesn't work. I press the button and nothing happens. It says "trac off" on the display screen.
My problem was related to low voltage......charged the battery, went for a run, problem fixed

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Replace the battery with a new one and THEN check to see if there are still any faults etc.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Well i've tried two different batteries and same thing. I tested both of them at the battery shop. One is perfectly OK and the other, although new, showed very low CCA...dude at the shop said its probably cz the alternator is not charging well. Makes sence because it was perfectly fine when i first put it on the car which was just a few days ago. Anyway, i'm thinking i need to replace the alternator. But question is...are all the issues i'm getting due to low voltage??

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Seriously, we've already solved your alternator issues. Refer to your own thread:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vy-holden-commodore-2002-2004/218313-alternator-voltage-reading-13-92-should-i-concerned.html Pretty clear what voltages should be.
Even if this is a new car, same voltages. Yes a bad alternator can cause all sorts of error warnings.

No, you cannot change just the regulator on a V8 alternator, it is soldered in, need to replace whole unit.

And, yes, you will need to remove power steering pump or radiator fans to change alternator on the 5.7L.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Seriously, we've already solved your alternator issues. Refer to your own thread:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vy-holden-commodore-2002-2004/218313-alternator-voltage-reading-13-92-should-i-concerned.html Pretty clear what voltages should be.
Even if this is a new car, same voltages. Yes a bad alternator can cause all sorts of error warnings.

No, you cannot change just the regulator on a V8 alternator, it is soldered in, need to replace whole unit.

And, yes, you will need to remove power steering pump or radiator fans to change alternator on the 5.7L.
If i'm asking about a new, different model, different engine car...then no you haven't already solved my alternator issues. Unless it was said in that thread "this also applies to a VZ SS!" And, no i wouldnt automatically know the rule applies to a VZ SS!

Me posting this query is not costing you anything nor is it harming you in any way...so no need for the shity attitude. You provided really nice info...but starting your post like that just makes you look like an a**hole. Thanks anyway.

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
this rule would apply for any 12v vehicle fitted with an alternator.