Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is a toyota lexcen engine better than a vp

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It was the Indy cars the Buick V6 ran in (turbo), it was very quick and successful too

V

VIP-VPT..Banned......

shut up green foam whut u know, lol jus kiddin, didnt holden make the 304ci injected 8 for the VN - VT?

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
madsav said:
did you know that the orignal motors that was going to to put into the vn`s was the vl turboed motor.
No, it wasn't the turbo engine but the N/A one (turbo may have been an option). If not for the exchange rate with the Japanese yen turning sour the VN may well have been powered by the Nissan donk. Holden ran two engineering & costing programs simultaneously - one with the Nissan straight 6 and one with the Buick V6. It wasn't a last minute decision to go with the Buick but it certainly wasn't an early call either. Apart from the higher cost, one of the deciding factors was that Nissan weren't prepared to increase the capacity of the engine, and up against the 3.9L Falcon at the time it would have been a tough marketing sell with just a 3.0 (the bigger is better approach was still the thinking back then).

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Demons1964 said:
No, it wasn't the turbo engine but the N/A one (turbo may have been an option). If not for the exchange rate with the Japanese yen turning sour the VN may well have been powered by the Nissan donk. Holden ran two engineering & costing programs simultaneously - one with the Nissan straight 6 and one with the Buick V6. It wasn't a last minute decision to go with the Buick but it certainly wasn't an early call either. Apart from the higher cost, one of the deciding factors was that Nissan weren't prepared to increase the capacity of the engine, and up against the 3.9L Falcon at the time it would have been a tough marketing sell with just a 3.0 (the bigger is better approach was still the thinking back then).

hit the nail on the head!!!

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
well the lexcen im looking at (VP) has a series 2 in it.

V

VP5LtrCalais

Basically ... you're buying a commodore with a different set of lights in the back, a different front bar and indicators in the bumper and parkers where the front indicators would normally be in a commodore, all in all ... buy a new front bar and light set-up from a swap meet off a VP Commodore, price of which will vary but it wouldn't be anything extravagant, the most expensive part will be to change the wiring around to suit the indicators being in the front next to the Headlights and not in the bar, if you do all that and debadge the car ... nobody would know the difference, that's all that changed for them ... and I can back this up with experience as I work for Toyota and I drive a VP ... lol

Damian

vsuterus

Reaction score
The front guards are slightly different too, as the lexcen's parking lights (in same place as VPs indicators) are a different shape - they're similar to the VR/VS Statesman so I'm not sure if you'll get it looking exactly the same but you could put orange globes in the existing parking light assembly and pull up the globe holder as the wire might be long enough to reach!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Not sure about the VP but my VN lexcen has different mudflaps too, little mini plastic ones like on the newer models, very posh compared to the rubber monsters on the commodore

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
yeah i have the front end ready to go on it ;) cheers.