Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is a VY Ute for me??

Walshy227

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU S Ute
Hey, so I've always loved Holden Utes and I really want to get one. I'm a p plater and currently driving around a Mitsubishi but I'm hoping to upgrade in about 6 months and I want a nice ute. I want some suggestions on what I should get but it has to be a V6 due to the fact that I am a p plater. I'm looking to spend anywhere up to about $12-13K on it and it has to be a manual. I'd also prefer it to be black. I know all these things I want except for one thing - which series?

Originally I wanted a VZ because I wanted the more powerful 3.6 litre engine with the 6 speed manual but my dad was trying to talk me into getting a VY or VU with the 3.8 5 speed because he had a mate with a VT SS commodore with the 6 speed manual and said the 6 speed was terrible and he hardly ever used 6th gear. If that's true, would the 6 speed in a VZ be an issue and would I be better off with a 5 speed VY or VU? I also read another forum of VY vs VZ and everyone was saying the 3.6 in the VZ had a heap of issues and the older 3.8 was way more reliable and a better engine.

I am more than happy to get a VY if it would be better in the long run than a VZ. And I would much prefer a VY over a VU because I feel the interior is quite...old and I think the VY looks much better all over. But I know they have roughly similar specs? I'm also looking for a ute that I can modify to make it look/sound/run better and I would love to know what all you guys would suggest.

Cheers,

Julian

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
The 6 speed in the vt ss is completely different to the vz "aisin" gearbox which is by comparison rubbish... The tremec T56 in the vt ss is one of the most reliable and highly regarded boxes in this vehicle platform.

The 5spd in the vu/y on the other hand is an absolute piece of **** and you have to treat it nice or it will certainly break just take your time shifting and no clutch dumps, I think for you go the reliability and simplicity of the ecotec (3.8L in the vs-vy) there's a **** ton of support on here for them if u have a problem and parts are dirt cheap hell if the engine dies $ 400 will see a new one ;)

Just be wary of the gearbox... Don't buy one if the clutch is on the way out if u can't do a clutch change urself ur looking at $2000 ball park

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
No massive difference really IMO, I've had my VZ for nearly 2 years and have done 20,000ks on it with no issues (currently sitting on 175k). Either way they're both fairly reliable as long as the previous owner and yourself look after them.
The reason your mate with the VT said about 6th being pointless is that on the T-56 there is 2 overdriven gears with 6th being around 0.5:1 which is only really useful at 110+. But the AY6 in the VZ V6 only has one overdriven gear so you will use it all the time when you're on freeways and such.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Ok this might not be what you want to hear but does it have to be a Holden and a Ute. My advice is get something that fits your needs currently then once your off your P's join the SS Ute club.

If you must jump in to a Holden Ute well yeah i do agree with you about the VY over the VU interior. Don't stress to much about the 6spd and what ever unless your going to actually use it.

You have 12-13k to spend plenty of rides to choose from ask some p platers see what they have. Some VE v6's Utes can be had at that price if you hustle and drive as many as you can till your happy.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
For 12-13k you can get an early 08,09,10 VE ,
go check the pickles.com.au auctions at Dubbo or Sydney, use redbook.com.au trade in price as your guide.

OH and consider a crewman, better still cross6 crewman or the cross 6 tonner , it's more practical car then a ute in the country ;)

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Also with the 5.7l Cross8 , it's a way to have a legal V8 on P-Plates in N.S.W. ;)
Not the 6.0l Cross8 or 2WD Crewie thou, Adventra V8 is okay too, if you were considering a wagon.

Check vehicle here- Vehicle restrictions < Younger drivers < Drivers < Staying safe < NSW Centre for Road Safety

2006 Holden Crewman VZ Cross 8 MY06 Banned
4 door Ute 8 cyl, 6.0L (5967cc) engine 4 speed, Automatic Aspirated

2005 Holden Crewman VZ (VY II) Cross 8 Allowed
4 door Ute 8 cyl, 5.7L (5665cc) engine 4 speed, Automatic Aspirated

2004 Holden Crewman VZ (VY II) Cross 8 Allowed
4 door Ute 8 cyl, 5.7L (5665cc) engine 4 speed, Automatic Aspirated