Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is adding CNC heads to a cam worth the $2k?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@daves8 as you've mentioned you want more low down torque, was that extra 10-15rwkw for the CNC head at 1500rpm or 6000rpm? I'd guess the mechanic probably don't specify at what rpm :rolleyes:

Forced induction would be great but also consider insurance as many companies will not want to insure you and price the cover such that you go elsewhere :oops: Internal NA engine mods are much easier to hide ;) but the addiction kicks in and you can't hide that :eek:

If you do want more get up and go, maybe consider a shorter rear diff and some weight loss?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I have a L77.

If I get heads they will be Higgins CNC ported.

get them shaved to get comp up and will make it a good 20kw gain, 2k is a bit I supplied my heads to a good head porter and was $1200 for full port shave and valve regrind new seals etc, 6l made 358rwkw on a mainline (239/247) cam E85 fuel. The difference from stock heads isn't huge re power but the drivability is so much better

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
get them shaved to get comp up and will make it a good 20kw gain, 2k is a bit I supplied my heads to a good head porter and was $1200 for full port shave and valve regrind new seals etc, 6l made 358rwkw on a mainline (239/247) cam E85 fuel. The difference from stock heads isn't huge re power but the drivability is so..

Tend to agree that increasing compression is likely to be the reason extra performance is gained over stock castings . The chambers in the higggins heads are better in that they’ll do that but be less likely to ping on bad fuel etc and drive a bit nicer than milling the standard castings unless you relieve the chambers as well. 2k isnt a bad price either way and assume this is exchange. Personally its not a whole lot more ponies for the $$ unless you’re building a serious NA with a massive cam and converter you’re not likely to need the extra gas flow over the stock heads.
Gotta say on the other hand the metro latte drinker hidden inside me thinks they’d look good in my detailed engine bay with the engraved logo’s on them