Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is adding CNC heads to a cam worth the $2k?

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
back considering a small cam for my L77 calais.

Is the $2k worthwhile? Basic cam package is about $5k (as I have Dod to remove) worth the extra $2k fr heads?

I have been told better tourqe and low end power delivery, and maybe another 10-15 rwkw.

Thoughts?

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
back considering a small cam for my L77 calais.

Is the $2k worthwhile? Basic cam package is about $5k (as I have Dod to remove) worth the extra $2k fr heads?

I have been told better tourqe and low end power delivery, and maybe another 10-15 rwkw.

Thoughts?
I would be asking is the $5000 cam worth it if you think so the $2000 heads are a bargain if you can afford it ? Go for it .I presume you already have full exhaust and cai ? The cam and heads will complement each other if matched properly together (flow at lift )do your homework.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I thought today’s modern head castings were well designed and rather accurate in manufacture so didn’t benefit much from old style head porting and chamber rework?

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
I thought today’s modern head castings were well designed and rather accurate in manufacture so didn’t benefit much from old style head porting and chamber rework?
I think he is talking about new heads but I tend agree and disagree with your statement as I understand the ls3 extremely good intake manifold and heads ( for stock )but they can definitely get good gains with hand porting IF DONE RIGHT and that is the same with a lot of aftermarket heads in my opinion. When I do cam I would like to get stock throttle body , intake manifold and heads ported

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a L77.

If I get heads they will be Higgins CNC ported.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if ur planning future mods that cnc heads will require then could be worth doing it now but u are still well within the factory heads flow so ur gains from the heads will be some but minimal as they are not really a restriction yet and even the cam will help the flow thru stock heads anyway, best to get the cam to suit the heads/exhaust/usage/rev range so u get the best out of it

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not planning future mods beyond this.

I have been told the cnc heads will be a benefit for the smaller cams I am looking at.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Probably not worth it for a streetcar if cam is small enough to keep standard size stally.

Thinner headgaskets or heads shaved for compression bump might be more noticeable.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
pretty much everyone will say it will be a benefit to all engines and mods as technically over stock heads they will flow better and show more power but is it 2k worth of power ? not sure for 10-15kw more as u will barely feel 15kw increase

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thinking laterally here....

Would it be possible to find and install a second hand blower kit (say a 1900) for $10k or less?

Just weighing up all options