Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is an aftermarket alarm system worth it?

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I haven't bothered and my insurance company seems happy with that decision.

My inlaws have an after marked alarm in their VX and it is a pain in the ass and has even locked them out of the car.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
No matter good your security system might be , it's just a deterrent , it won't stop some low life nicking your car or stereo , I haven't bothered and use the factory system .

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
No matter good your security system might be , it's just a deterrent , it won't stop some low life nicking your car or stereo , I haven't bothered and use the factory system .

Agree, and the factory unit is actually not bad.

The only better deterrent is to buy an AU Falcon.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
A steering lock might make them walk to the next vehicle as carrying a hacksaw is an inconvenience . You can wire up a battery back up siren from the existing factory alarm if you want and add a shock sensor.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The problem with after market alarms is that they are fairly much all installed in the same fashion, I did a lot of research into this when I put an alarm in my old VN ( was good for having central locking on a remote). If you are familiar with a particular make/model it doesn't take much effort to disable the car alarm system from the car wiring.

Car alarms will prevent the average opportunist from stealing your car, if someone determined is after it than it's a lot harder to prevent. For that reason, my cars have always been registered at a different address to where I live so someone doing a registration check is non the wiser about where the car lives.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
+1 I register to a different address... alarms are a lot better now a days being all black wiring, but as stated above, it's not that hard to bypass if you have a bit of time... (alarm dependant I.E just cuts ign)

Could always throw in a kill switch if your extra paranoid I guess...

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Could always throw in a kill switch if your extra paranoid I guess...

Thats what i do. Easy to bypass but only you know where you cut the wires to what and where the switch is. Cheap too.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
My aftermarket alarm was installed purely for remote start.

And yeah, because no one pays attention a a single siren going off, the G6ET has 3. and a set of small air horns. and 3 of those little pizeo sirens. People take note when it goes off.
Took heaps of stuffing around to add more sensors, but its worth it for tilt, glass break etc.

As the sying goes, "the alarm is only as good as its installation".