Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is an unbalanced tyre safe???

Lish

Shake That
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore
Hey guys mike here...

One of the rear tyres on our beloved gen has a split in it about an inch long and is slowly losing pressure every few weeks, not much but enough for me to have to pump it up. ive been thinking about it and think its no good to keep driving on which shits me as it still has 95+ % tread but whatever.

Now the spare alloy that came with the car has not been balanced am i safe to travel on it without getting it balanced or is it best i do???

And what exactly will it do to the car if its not balanced.

Thanks guys

Mike n Lish

Lish

Shake That
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore
fizz_vk said:
just dont b tight man a new tyre is like wat 50$ come on :p

50 dollars??? pmfsl tell me where you buy your tyres from cause the bridgestones on mine are worth 300 a peice! and the other mag has a brand new tyre on it anyway so no need to buy a new tyre or have an ugly spare on car as its another ALLOY.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Lish said:
And what exactly will it do to the car if its not balanced.

If it came with the car when the car was built it would be balanced. All the tyres get balanced before they are put on the cars.

Lish

Shake That
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore
vztrt said:
If it came with the car when the car was built it would be balanced. All the tyres get balanced before they are put on the cars.

But it doesn't have a weight on it so I am guessing it hasn't been balanced.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Lish said:

Some don't need it and some need a lot of weights. I have just seen that the tyres get balanced before they go into new cars as it can effect the suspension. If your that worried go to a Tyre place and get it balanced.

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
You dont need to replace it, go to a tyre/wheel place and ask them to stick a tube it in. You'll be able to balance it and it will hold pressure, but you'll probably have to leave that wheel on the rear.

Maybe $30/$40.

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Lish said:
Some dont have normal old bash on weights, theres also stick on dots that could even be on the inside of the wheel.

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
You dont need to replace it, go to a tyre/wheel place and ask them to stick a tube it in. You'll be able to balance it and it will hold pressure, but you'll probably have to leave that wheel on the rear.

Maybe $30/$40.

Just about to say that

SPack

Wish it would rain......
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 sportwagon (phantom)
Like the other guys suggested, take it to the tyre shop and get them to put a tube in it if they can (I'm not sure if that can be done with low profile tyres). Put the wheel with the tube in the boot and use it as a spare. I wouldn't be too keen on hard driving at speed with a tyre that has a split (even after the tube is put in), particularly one that was losing pressure. I'd treat it a bit like a space saver spare and drive moderately whenever it's fitted.

Whilst you are at the tyre shop, get them to check your current spare, chances are it will be ok, but you can get it balanced at the time for small change.

Despite all that, if you want, you can safely put the spare on and try it out, if you feel a vibration or steering wheel wobble that is noticeable when you drive (try the full speed range that you drive at), it needs balancing; if not, it's probably ok. People drive over gutters and potholes etc all the time and this can put the balance out a little or a lot; unless you get a vibe etc that is obvious, you would never know (and it probably won't matter). ;)