Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone considering the NG commodore after their VF?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
having had a chance to drive (yes, being fleet manager for work has its benefits) both hatch and wagon versions
can i say don't compare ZB to VF, compare it to Mazda 6, Camry and Kia Optima even BMW 3 series or Benzs

The 4cyl turbo hatch is a far superior thing to any of those... and if Holden get the final pricing right
( I have seen the suggested RRP, they better stick to that) then this will knock these guys sideways, it is that much better
.. to drive, to live with, a better shopping trolley for ya missus if you like.

But the one I really enjoyed was the v6 wagon (sworn to secrecy re the actual model) this is a damn fine
car. Better than 3 series Beemer wagons and you would need to be lala to consider a new Skoda Wagon
(2017 Car of the Year) compared to this. It really is that good... but no, it is not a VF and I don't get
why Holden are pushing ZB as a VF successor. It ain't....

by the way, for those interested... the 4 cyl turbo FWD version does not suffer from torque steer. Hands off, flatten it at the lights... it goes in a straight line (and you will beat 90% of anything off at the lights)

I agree. This a great post, well balanced and intelligent. Far better than the endless and mindless "NG/ZB's are ****" posts from those who have never driven them.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Those portable dog-wash trailers & hair-dressing suites are quite heavy.
True, I was just looking on Carsales for the specs, the 2000KG is for the 2 litre turbo Equinox only, the 1.5 turbos are 1500Kg, but the 2000Kg rating of the 2 litre Equinox turbos looks very good for the class, and pretty close to 2100Kg rating for a 3.6 or V8 Commodore up to VFII. I'd be reluctant to use a 2.0 Equinox to tow my 1530 Kg Dual axle full height 6 metre van, but on paper it has a reasonable margin in tow rating to van weight. Equinox tow rating might be a bit off topic for a ZB post, but tow rating does have relevance post VF.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Yeah, but if you had to drive an Equinox, you’d be likely to either just kill yourself or go on a violent murder spree until cut-down by the police.
I don’t think that’s something anyone wants.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I have a point which hasn't been raised yet.

If local production had not closed down and the ZB had been the next locally made Commodore, would there be the same level of antipathy towards it?

As far as I am concerned - yup. TBH if they moved production of the 'traditional' RWD Commodore overseas I'd be fine with it. Unfortunately the NG is just so far from the mark they would have been better off retiring the Commodore name and sticking with Insignia.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
As far as I am concerned - yup. TBH if they moved production of the 'traditional' RWD Commodore overseas I'd be fine with it. Unfortunately the NG is just so far from the mark they would have been better off retiring the Commodore name and sticking with Insignia.
They changed it from Kingswood to Commodore when they made it smaller, modern & made it handle ... making it FWD & even more modern is a bigger difference IMHO.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Why didn't they just call it...

the Holden "and now for something completely different"
391b90aa08b7535981716a314d68169c.jpg

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
PS. traditional Holden buyers didn't want something completely different but for Holden to think keeping the name Commodore and sticking it on a Toyota Camry was good enough, shame shame shame. Holden Badger.

Holden Frontier (also because it is FrontWD, too bad it has been used by a car maker in other countries)

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The Holden insignia has been attached to some real rubbish in years gone by. Think Drover and Scurry (Suzuki's), so anything modern made by other companies will be an improvement.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing wrong with Drover & Scurry, for what they were intended.
They were definitely better fits for their intended market-segment than Captivas or Cruzes.

If you ignore the dwindling supply of Commodores, the only thing they have which ain’t rubbish in it’s segment is Colorado. Which is a previous-generation Isuzu, when we get down to it. Oh wait; no the Astra hatch is pretty good, very good in fact; which makes it a bit sad that you never see any on the road.