Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is gasket sealant needed at all when replacing inlet manifold gasket?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
only problem i came into was that i ended up braking the connection for the coolant temperature sender. i guess i'll have to go to the wreckers to cut off the connector and re solder it back on. otherwise i'll try glue it on or something haha.

A female spade terminal can be used for that.

****, i never did that to them when i changed mine. didnt know i was supposed to... will it leak if you dont?

Probably. But if you're asking about it can't be leaking too badly. It's not under pressure, just splash and vapour, and it's a small area for the oil to pass through. It will be weep rather than a drip.

Daz304

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ss 5L
whats gasket is better fellas? soft or metal?

Vr wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr wagon
i ALWAYS use sealant, theres nothing worse then having to do the job twice

vn3.8L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN executive s2
i ALWAYS use sealant, theres nothing worse then having to do the job twice

Plus one on this, i spent all the time doing the job correct, started it up and coolant came out. So i pulled it all back apart added a bit of rtv sealent only around the water jackets, obviously using the gasket as well and it did not leak. Dont ask me why. there was the smallest amount of pitting around the water galleries but i thought the gasket would have taken it up. Just make sure you do not start your car for at least 24 hours, the longer the better or the sealent will not work.
After looking at the gasket that came off it was evident that the factory or the person before me to had used sealent only around the water galleries. Im guessing however it wasnt the original gasket.
I used a rubber gasket to, do not know about metal ones.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Plus one on this, i spent all the time doing the job correct, started it up and coolant came out. So i pulled it all back apart added a bit of rtv sealent only around the water jackets, obviously using the gasket as well and it did not leak. Dont ask me why. there was the smallest amount of pitting around the water galleries but i thought the gasket would have taken it up. Just make sure you do not start your car for at least 24 hours, the longer the better or the sealent will not work.
After looking at the gasket that came off it was evident that the factory or the person before me to had used sealent only around the water galleries. Im guessing however it wasnt the original gasket.
I used a rubber gasket to, do not know about metal ones.

You dont need to leave sealant to dry.