Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is Holden still making the Caprice US cop car?

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
Many city police forces ran the Crown Victoria for 20 years, suggesting they were more interested in stability than innovation.
I reckon GMH would have had to promise to keep making the LHD Caprice long term to get orders from these cops.
Threating the Aussie government with shutting down factories would seem to be counter-productive in this case.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Agreed, the current Federal Government is more interested in ideology ie the market or capitalist system will save all of us. Of course that is for the few but the rest of us do not matter.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Yes they sure are making and exporting the PPV Caprices.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm certain I saw one in a TV program the other night. It approached the camera as the main characters crossed a street in front of a Police Station and as it passed, a camera from a different angle picked it up moving away. The show was obviously very recent, so I can't be sure it was a Caprice. It sure wasn't a Victoria though.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
The new Ford Cop car is a Taurus with AWD. Looking on the side kind of looks like a Commodore VE.

I have seen few of the Holden Police Cars and is called Caprice PPV; that is actually a Statesman.

Edit:

Ford Taurus 6th Gen Police Interceptor Sedan

police-interceptor-sedan-630.jpeg

Last edited:

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I'm certain I saw one in a TV program the other night. It approached the camera as the main characters crossed a street in front of a Police Station and as it passed, a camera from a different angle picked it up moving away. The show was obviously very recent, so I can't be sure it was a Caprice. It sure wasn't a Victoria though.

Same, can't remember what show it was but I've also seen one too.

itsme4g63

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO
Yes we still get the PPV cars. they are mostly detective and special order law enforcement vehicles. Alot of the law enforcement cars are the taurus sho witha twin turbo v6 awd like pictured above, state police also have the Chevy impalas. For the longest the favorite car was a ford crown victoria, but since production has ceased a couple years ago and have been getting replaced by dodge charges and the aforementioned. Chicago PD actually uses SUV's mostly, the chevy tahoe and ford explorer. The sedans are used mostly in the suburbs now. Although I do see some state police still holding onto the crown victorias, its an old design on an old chassis, but quite proven and easily serviceable.

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
I know a cop in Texas, he doesn't like the Taurus. Also said smalltown police departments don't have much budget, and the Holden PPV is more expensive than the Dodge, so that's what many are buying when their old clunker dies.