Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it gearbox?? any ideas

younglion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY SS Ute 5.7
Hi guys, i got a question. i have a vr commodore and when i accelerate from a standing start something grinds at the back of the car i think its either gearbox or diff. and when i turn right and try to accelerate out of a corner the revs drop for a second then pick up again, is this sounding like a buggered gearbox???? any help would be great?

volotre

Reaction score
Members Ride
As often as possible
The grinding noise could be centre bearing in the tailshaft. If it only happens when you floor it off the line then that's where I'd look first. They have a two piece tailshaft that has a bearing in the centre and it's common for them to fail, usually a bit of vibration when you gun it from a stand still as well. Pretty easy to do yourself (check the how to tech stuff on this site) and the bearing is around $40 - $30 bucks.
The revs dropping thing could just be the auto, they're not the best box out there and their shifting can be a bit erratic so maybe it's just a bit slow on the kickdown.