Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it good to remove catalytic converters?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Only legal on pre 04 or something isn't it??

Cats are for girls. . . .
Or normal people. Remove them for an extra 3rwkw and extra mang.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The cats are only there to reduce emissions, nothing else. Not create back pressure or any other fairy tale.

The engine management system is designed around them being there. The car will run better, perform better and use less fuel without them, as long as it is tuned to suit.

Can you remove them? Sure. You will need to get the part of the tune that reads post cat sensors deleted though or you will be throwing all sorts of errors.

If it is illegal where you live, then it's totally up to you whether you run that risk or not. Here in Australia it is illegal to remove cats if they were fitted from factory. The reason we have cats in the first place is because pre cat emissions killed all the unicorns. Pretty sure all the people that have either removed their cats or smashed the guts out have made the Western Black Rhino extinct as well.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
So, on a more important and interesting topic.

Have those Western Black Rhinos gone and gotten themselves wiped out?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Apparently, it has been declared extinct because the last official sighting of one was back in 2006.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Maybe they just moved east?

SCIENCE!

Probably. The only thing that distinguishes the Western Black from the ordinary Black is location. It is "believed" to be genetically different, but we'll never know now. If people are encroaching on an animals habitat, most of the time the animal moves.

Hussien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE v8 L98 6.0L
I heard removing them is good for fuel economy and engine breathing. Here if your car blows a huge black smoke , no one cares for environment even the police.

Well as the car is set up to have cats , probably not , you can get high flow cats fitted , which will keep it legal , actually , wouldn't a HSV already have high flow cats ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSV doesn't have high flow cats.

No removing them would be bad for your engine

Cats make back pressure with is good and without them you can/will burn out your valves. Don't be cheap a buy hi-flows probably a 200cpi cat as 100cpi cats are illegal too

And no a HSV has the same flowing cats as a Holden 6L

Thanks.

Your car and its story changes every time you post on here. The car is the least of your problems when you can't tell the truth, can't help yourself, can't say thanks.

You think I made stories?

I have more than one car. All of them are Holden. I used to have 11 cars, but now I only have 3 cars.

What a stupid ####ing question. If you know it's illegal why would you even consider it.

Why do you want to remove them?

Man, it's just a question.

Check Engine light came on and I used my scanner tool and the code was P0420. I went to the dealer and they says "the catalytic converter is clogged and I need a new one". It's an expensive part, that's why I asked this stupid question.

as stated they are there for a reason,just get some hi-flow cats as removing them is detrimental to your car and the environment-lol

didn't think you could get hsv holden in new York-lol

Actually I don't live in United States. :smoking:

Doubt it, but anyway we'll humour you.

this should have been when you threw the idea out the window.

The system and car are designed to run cats - how much drone car one car have - 3 inch with no cats?

Buy some extractors ffs, you have a pov spec 3 inch cat-back and you want to make it sound worse?

Do a full system - it will make a difference, don't just rip bits off.

Why are you guys don't believe I own a HSV? Do you want me to prove that? I will make a video today.

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
get the system done properly, stop being so damn cheap.

good extractors and a properly set-up system will outstrip your backyard job.