Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it good to remove catalytic converters?

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
Man, it's just a question.

Check Engine light came on and I used my scanner tool and the code was P0420. I went to the dealer and they says "the catalytic converter is clogged and I need a new one". It's an expensive part, that's why I asked this stupid question.

And it was a pretty stupid one at that. Your car came with them what makes you think you'd be able to remove them.

You claim to own 3 cars, surely you can afford to do headers and cats on your HSV as opposed to just an all noise cat back. Cats are cheap if you're just replacing the standard POS.

Hussien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE v8 L98 6.0L
The cats are only there to reduce emissions, nothing else. Not create back pressure or any other fairy tale.

The engine management system is designed around them being there. The car will run better, perform better and use less fuel without them, as long as it is tuned to suit.

Can you remove them? Sure. You will need to get the part of the tune that reads post cat sensors deleted though or you will be throwing all sorts of errors.

If it is illegal where you live, then it's totally up to you whether you run that risk or not. Here in Australia it is illegal to remove cats if they were fitted from factory. The reason we have cats in the first place is because pre cat emissions killed all the unicorns. Pretty sure all the people that have either removed their cats or smashed the guts out have made the Western Black Rhino extinct as well.

it's legal where I live. I'm going to smashed the guts out, but the question is, do I really need to tune my engine?

Because where I live the Dyno tune places have a bad reputation. It's really cheap, but they damaged many engines as I heard because they don't have any experience. This car has 64,000 km on it, but the engine has been replaced. It's actually 28,000 km. so I'm a little afraid of tuning my engine.

Thanks bro.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You really only need to have the part of the tune that reads the sensors after the cats turned off. Otherwise, put up with the light and chimes when you start your car.

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
Hello,

I have a really simple question. I own a 2008 Ve Hsv LS2 and it has only 64,000 km on it. I just my installed XForce 3 inch Cat-Back System.

I would like to remove my catalytic converters. I know it's illegal to do that, but the question is

Would my engine breathe better than before when I remove the catalytic converters? Would the fuel economy be better or worst?

My car has two catalytic converters.

Thanks.

it's legal where I live. I'm going to smashed the guts out, but the question is, do I really need to tune my engine?

Because where I live the Dyno tune places have a bad reputation. It's really cheap, but they damaged many engines as I heard because they don't have any experience. This car has 64,000 km on it, but the engine has been replaced. It's actually 28,000 km. so I'm a little afraid of tuning my engine.

Thanks bro.

You've said to different things about cat removal, you need to figure out your BS story.

What country do you live in exactly.

Hussien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE v8 L98 6.0L
You've said to different things about cat removal, you need to figure out your BS story.

What country do you live in exactly.

When I said "I know it's illegal to do that" I mean it's illegal to do that in Australia.

it's legal where i live (Middle East, Oman).

I don't understand. Why are you so upset?

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
thought they were Chevrolets over there,if you want people to believe you maybe you should take a photo of your vehicle and post it here,then people might believe you more
the removal of cats won't give you much of a power gain,why don't you just buy a complete system and install it yourself,

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I heard removing them is good for fuel economy and engine breathing. Here if your car blows a huge black smoke , no one cares for environment even the police.

HSV doesn't have high flow cats.

Thanks.

You think I made stories?

I have more than one car. All of them are Holden. I used to have 11 cars, but now I only have 3 cars.

Man, it's just a question.

Check Engine light came on and I used my scanner tool and the code was P0420. I went to the dealer and they says "the catalytic converter is clogged and I need a new one". It's an expensive part, that's why I asked this stupid question.

Actually I don't live in United States. :smoking:

Then why does your location say New York ??

Why are you guys don't believe I own a HSV? Do you want me to prove that? I will make a video today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
When I said "I know it's illegal to do that" I mean it's illegal to do that in Australia.

People in australia know its illegal to remove them, know need to point it out. If its legal where you live why not just take it out and save us all the hassle of ripping in to you.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore

Another good old internet trolll.
I am laughing at how pathetic you are, anybody who needs to troll on the internet is just sad :(

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR