Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it good to remove catalytic converters?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
All this cat removal makes me laugh, it's a stock N/A engine, removing the cats will make 2 fifths of #### all difference.

How long do cats last? What happens when they fail?

maxthedralf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
quick note. if you want to gut your cats. pan all the crap thats inside them. its full of gold dust. :p

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
quick note. if you want to gut your cats. pan all the crap thats inside them. its full of gold dust. :p
They contain platinum, palladium and rhodium. If you could be assed sorting it all there is about $20 worth.
No gold.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
There's a bloke on FleaBay who states his cats contain Plutonium. I'm assuming he's confused that with Platinum, well, I hope so, or I'm sorry in advance Eastern Seaboard, weez goin kritikal.

maxthedralf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
They contain platinum, palladium and rhodium. If you could be assed sorting it all there is about $20 worth.
No gold.

taken from wiki..
Because of the external location and the use of valuable precious metals including platinum, palladium, rhodium, and gold, converters are a target for thieves

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
taken from wiki..

Theres your problem there... a commumity based encyclopedia. There is a reason wikipedia is not a valid resource is the research field of amything.

There is no Au in a catalytic convertor. The only thing gold can be a catalyst for is arguments between my wife and i as it converts our bank account into tiny digits.

maxthedralf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
ok. let me take an extract from howstuffworks..

In the catalytic converter, there are two different types of catalyst at work, a reduction catalyst and an oxidation catalyst. Both types consist of a ceramic structure coated with a metal catalyst, usually platinum, rhodium and/or palladium. The idea is to create a structure that exposes the maximum surface area of catalyst to the exhaust stream, while also minimizing the amount of catalyst required, as the materials are extremely expensive. Some of the newest converters have even started to use gold mixed with the more traditional catalysts. Gold is cheaper than the other materials and could increase oxidation#, the chemical reaction that reduces pollutants, by up to 40 percent

-_- sigh.