Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it good to remove catalytic converters?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Lets not forget that Au melts at just over 1000c (dont remember exactly, besides it depends on its purety) so the first time you lean out your engine... the gold would pool at the bottom!

maxthedralf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
ffs. its not 24k gold. it would be an alloy.. titanium also melts at 1000 but they still use it in cats to. also. let me tell you something. most exhaust manifolds are made from ether cast iron or stainless. guess what the melting point of cast iron is. here is a hint.
Since the compositions of most cast irons are around the eutectic point of the iron–carbon system, the melting temperatures closely correlate, usually ranging from 1,150 to 1,200 °C (2,102 to 2,192 °F), which is about 300 °C (572 °F) lower than the melting point of pure iron.

if you can melt the gold in a cat. id have greater worries on my mind. -_-

bosmonaut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th Anniversay Edition
VE's will have an engine light come on straight away with hollowed out cats as they have 02 sensors both sides of the cat (4 in total) they are mapped from factory to recognize the presence of a cat and are adjusted accordingly. if you remove them your check engine light will be on all the time and the ESP will be permanently off. Unless you have it tuned and re calibrated and very few mechanics will do the tune cause its illegal for a road car. Just put hi flows in its a heap less hassle.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
let me tell you something

I would've been quite happy to have this discussion with you and concede I was wrong... until you let your ####wit slip through with that statement.

"Let me tell you something".... you can bash your knob as much as you want now mate. You're a ####wit that can't handle a debate without "telling someone something" or a "ffs" and the only thing your telling something to now is a brickwall.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Oooo Mr Max knows how to google.
Maybe do some more gooooogling on your favorite wiki, titanium melts at like 1600.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
But it all must be true as he learned it from the iternet

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Seen a melted modern Ducati that was started by the cats heat. Another owner posted photo's of mufflers inners glowing bright red. Have not searched what temp the bikes melt at but my std pipes will stay in shed unless defected.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
blah blah blah crap and more rubbish

so the size of the waffle inside the cat makes no difference to the melting point? no, i guess not youre probably right. a 5mm cast iron manifold would surely melt at the same time as a 20 micron waffle of ceramic/platinum composite.

p.s. aussie cats do not contain gold. this is coming from the guy who used to buy and recycle my cats.