Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Is it illegal to have no hood lining ?

aussie7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
I have just removed my hood lining, due to sagging and would like to know if it’s illegal to not have one in the car ?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Pretty sure it's not illegal to remove it.

Hood lining is only there to insulate the bonnet from engine heat so the paint doesn't get damaged.

Last edited:

aussie7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
Pretty it's not illegal to remove it.

Hood lining is only there to insulate the bonnet from engine heat so the paint doesn't get damaged.

Sorry I didn’t make myself clear enough; I removed the interior hood lining

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Roof lining, I don't think so but I could be wrong. Although I do remember a guy here ages ago got a warning by the police because he took the door trims off his car for some reason then got pulled up driving it before he put them back in. I think that was in the paint your car with rollers thread.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
I dont see why it would be illegal, But im thinking it is... Just a gut instinct

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Yes It is indeed illegal in NSW to have no roof lining, Mrs got pulled over due to the lining just let go on her way home from work one night, and said fix it, She asked if she could just remove it but apparently its a fixture to the car and must be in place, and that the old foam can fall into your eyes etc lol, and was told if its not fixed the car will be defected. So i just ripped the roof out and re-stapled & Glued the same piece back on. She was then pulled over again and said good to see it was fixed.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Ahh the police were holding their dicks.
If you totally remove the lining, backing board and all there is no reason for there to be any danger. Thats not to say they wont fine you for it though.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I drove around with no lining for a few weeks while I was fixing the roof and didn't get pulled over so not too sure on the legalities but I reckon the only thing it would be is in the case of an accident you could hit your head on some of the metal that isn't flush. and do some more damage than if you had the liner.
Prob the same reason why you need foam on a roll cage.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
If you move far enough in an accident to hit the roof, you've got other issues aside from a missing hood lining...