Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it legal and safe?

soleit

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS-V
I got some wheels and tyres for my wagon and a bit worried about the front. I originally ordered 20x8.5 front and 20x10 rear but got a call they had no 8.5 in stock so offered 10" all round. Problem is, the front tyres don't sit to the rim and the rims stick out about 1mm past the guard (not much I know, problem is if the cop looking is not in the right mood, I'm getting a ticket).

The rear tyres are 275/30 97w which is the recommended size according to every rim/tyre calculator I tried but the fronts have 245/35 97w tyres which sit back from the rim edge about 1cm either side. Took it to Bridgestone and my mechanic, they said fronts aren't legal because they poke out ever so slightly and the tyres are just unsafe.

The mob I bought them from argued they're fine and after a while agreed to look into getting in the 8.5 as I ordered to replace the fronts.

So whats the point of this? Could 3 guys from Bridgestone and my mechanic who does my rego plus my paranoia of the police all be wrong?

28umyyx.jpg
Rim sits out a touch

syb88k.jpg
Unsafe?

2jb7cxt.jpg

Last edited:

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Looks about right for a 180sx or skyline. You will be better of with the 8.5 not just legally, but safety, handling, everything. Just get the ones you originally asked for and ordered.

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
Hey mate, they are illegal on the front, standard ve ss v, placard is for 19x8 245/40 19 all round, its ok to go 1 inch dia but only 15mm over standard so your best bet is tell the shop you bought them off, is they are illegal and if they don't take them back or swap out for proper sizing wheel , you will be contacting consumer affairs ect
I recently had same issue, shop I ordered staggered wheels off, online, sent 20x10 all round, I asked for 20x8.5 fronts, I was livid, the idiot at the shop argued black and blue they look awesome and did want to take em back. Cut a long story short, they ended up giving me a full refund on the wheels and now im ordering proper sizing from a proper reputable wheel shop Good luck

soleit

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS-V
I recently had same issue, shop I ordered staggered wheels off, online, sent 20x10 all round, I asked for 20x8.5 fronts, I was livid, the idiot at the shop argued black and blue they look awesome and did want to take em back. Cut a long story short, they ended up giving me a full refund on the wheels and now im ordering proper sizing from a proper reputable wheel shop Good luck

We must have dealt with the same idiot, argued with me that they're fine, looks great and looked at pics and said he doesn't get the issue.

Yeah, fully intend on going further if they refuse to send out right rims and tyres for front.

Last edited:

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
The correct sizing is 275/30 R20 on rear and 245/35 20 fronts, buy a placard , HSV , from your local holden dealer and replace the one on your door.
20X8.5 Front and either a 20x9.5 or 10 on rear, with mentioned tyre sizing. I cant understand why HSV can run a 20'' wheel on VE yet a VE SS can only run a 19'' as per the placard. Yet the new VF can run a 20'' on some models

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The law stipulates that the rim/tyre assembley must sit inside the guard line. So you make the call if the rims fitted to the car are legal.

And if you determine that it is illegal, get a copy of the law in relation to rims and tyres, take it to the place you got the rims from and get them to read it and then see if they say it is fine.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The correct sizing is 275/30 R20 on rear and 245/35 20 fronts, buy a placard , HSV , from your local holden dealer and replace the one on your door.
20X8.5 Front and either a 20x9.5 or 10 on rear, with mentioned tyre sizing. I cant understand why HSV can run a 20'' wheel on VE yet a VE SS can only run a 19'' as per the placard. Yet the new VF can run a 20'' on some models

You are allowed to go up size with all cars, providing the rolling radius isn't increased by more than 15% and the track isn't increased more than 26 MM than the widest track available for that model car. By that I mean, with a VE HSV, they run a 275/30X20, so you are allowed to increase the track by no more than another 26 MM and the roling radius by another 15%. This is providing the wheel/tyre assembley stick inside the guard line, it doesn't foul any suspension components and the load rating of the tyre is identical or greater that what the tyre placard says.

To check on all this information, get onto your local rego department and ask for a copy of modifications permitted with wheels and tyres....It's is all there for the general public to access
X

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Its the wheel track that'll be illegal. You could just add some neg camber to get them to tuck BUT you dont want that look, issues etc. Contact the shop and organize replacement 20x8.5 rims

standard ve ss v, placard is for 19x8 245/40 19 all round

WOW!! Tyre placards just tell you what is standard equipment on your car and not what is legal. You can work out whats legal by referencing the placard. You'll need a HSV VIN number to get a HSV placard so that was bad advice too.

Any VE's can actually run 22 inch rims legally so long as a few thing are met; 1, Tyre load rating. 2, overall diameter is + or - 15mm of the factory sizes (check tyre placard) 3, The wheel widths and offsets stay within the legal wheel track widths.
I think even 22's on are VF are legal IF the load rating is met which is the biggest issues wit 20's on them.

Currently the laws are a little loose on tyre stretch and camber (otherwise every lowered VT without a camber kit would be defected). Also metal wide bodys are legal so you can roll and pump the guards as much as you want but this is pointless once your over your vehicles legal track width.

VC Commodores advice is great so listen to him.

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
Its the wheel track that'll be illegal. You could just add some neg camber to get them to tuck BUT you dont want that look, issues etc. Contact the shop and organize replacement 20x8.5 rims

WOW!! Tyre placards just tell you what is standard equipment on your car and not what is legal. You can work out whats legal by referencing the placard. You'll need a HSV VIN number to get a HSV placard so that was bad advice too.

Any VE's can actually run 22 inch rims legally so long as a few thing are met; 1, Tyre load rating. 2, overall diameter is + or

BS If you read the ADRs, can only go 1 inch bigger than what your wheel placard states in your door sill. So running 22'' Wheels is 3'' Bigger dia on a ve ss. The police look at the placard for 19'' wheels , how are you going to explain that one?

A placard is there for a reason

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
You are allowed to go up size with all cars, providing the rolling radius isn't increased by more than 15% and the track isn't increased more than 26 MM than the widest track available for that model car. By that I mean, with a VE HSV, they run a 275/30X20, so you are allowed to increase the track by no more than another 26 MM and the roling radius by another 15%. This is providing the wheel/tyre assembley stick inside the guard line, it doesn't foul any suspension components and the load rating of the tyre is identical or greater that what the tyre placard says.

To check on all this information, get onto your local rego department and ask for a copy of modifications permitted with wheels and tyres....It's is all there for the general public to access
X

In WA, the cops will instantly sticker the car if you have wheels and tyres that don't match whats on the placard in the door sill. Hence if upgrading to 20's get a HSV tyre placard and run correct tyre sizing, anything out of the stipulated tyre sizing in the door sill will give you a instant defect, no questions asked. Running 22 inch wheels on a VE in WA, is the best way to draw unwanted attention, and get a defect.