Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it normal for the VE to have a bit a clunk at start off?

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE, 09 of 2008, Omega, Auto, 3.6 Litre, 6 Cylinder
VE MY09 Commodore, Built 2008, Omega Automatic, 3.6 Ltr done 105ks'.

I haven't long just permanently parked up my old EL Falcon and brought this VE at auction. My EL had a diff problem and it made a serious clunk for years. Had it (attempted) 'fixed' but that's another story.

Is it normal for the VE to have a bit of a clunk at start off sometimes or have I brought the same problem?

Sometimes I think it might be just the quick jump away at the start, not that I bang my foot down at start by any means, I don't like doing that. I like to start off nice n smooth but the VE has something the Falcon doesn't have.

I realise it may also be the drive shaft CV joint but I don't know to distinguish between the two issues hence I want to find out what.s normal and whats not

BTW is the VE a bit of a go machine as it seems to go through a lot of fuel compared the Falcon which is 4 Ltrs

thanks

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
they have some go, it may need service, oil, airfilter etc, this will help with fuel consunption, it is a heavy car with a 3lt motor so to make a comparison to the falcon is a bit hard (they can chew fuel if you boot it too much-same as any car)
wheres the "clunk"as you describe it coming from, as much info as possible will make it easier to help you out, is it from the rear rear right, gearbox (you think), front etc

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Think mine does the same mate (MY09.5 SV6). Sounds like a diff noise, my old BA XR6 used to make the same kind of noise. Only does it when you let right off the gas but are still rolling and accelerate again, like in **** Melbourne traffic.

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yesterday I got under the car and rocked the tail shaft backward and forward. I found about 4-6 mm range of movement but the noise it made from doing this coming from the front of the tailshaft so I'm wondering if that's where the problem is. I could not hear any noise coming from the diff and that's where my head was as i got under from the back.

thanks

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea; that's what my EL does but the VE makes a clunk like noise when I take off or accelerate. After getting under it and rocking the tail shaft and hearing noise coming from the trans end I'm wondering it it might be the trans?

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
Have the transmission serviced with some fresh oil. See if it makes any difference.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Get a competent mechanic to service your car and check the drive train for wear etc. Only way to find if there is a problem and what needs to be repaired/replaced to rectify same.