Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it possible to bypass the handbrake lock on dvd players?

rawsonn

wants to know more
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
as an installer we have stringent laws to abide by when it comes to DVD players and the parkbrake wire.

if we dont attach it to the handbrake we dont get a fine anymore :D

We face INSTANT criminal action for endangering the lives of Motorists.

and the driver gets defected and fines.

what state is this.. im in nsw and have heard nothing about it, been installing for 3 years now

SEXCVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP EXECUTIVE MANUAL
well guys i was thinking instead of playing around with the wires, how about just loosen up ur hand break in a way when you pull it to the first click, the handbreak is not physically on but the car thinks it is and the light turns on giving power to that wire making the dvd to work. This way cops wont realise wht u hv done coz they pull the hand break up ful to test it not to the first click. so ill be safe with wiring and no damage done to the car physically. well i am about to get a dvd head unit installed and thats my plan to overcome that issue. Let me noe if this is a good idea.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
as an installer we have stringent laws to abide by when it comes to DVD players and the parkbrake wire.

if we dont attach it to the handbrake we dont get a fine anymore :D

We face INSTANT criminal action for endangering the lives of Motorists.

and the driver gets defected and fines.

Really? Every place I went to looking for DVD players told me they technically had to wire it to the handbrake, but they rarely did. That was without me even asking if they would bypass it
In Vic by the way

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
well guys i was thinking instead of playing around with the wires, how about just loosen up ur hand break in a way when you pull it to the first click, the handbreak is not physically on but the car thinks it is and the light turns on giving power to that wire making the dvd to work. This way cops wont realise wht u hv done coz they pull the hand break up ful to test it not to the first click. so ill be safe with wiring and no damage done to the car physically. well i am about to get a dvd head unit installed and thats my plan to overcome that issue. Let me noe if this is a good idea.

Sure it will work :) just got to find that parkbrake wire (not that hard)..often times most people don't because it just easier to join the parkbrake wire to the units ground wire and call it quits

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies

Then you'd be stuck with you're handbrake light on while you drive around, and my Calais would be playing the "idiot" chime too :bang:

Be inventive people, as stated earlier, you can have it run through you're handbrake, but also have a bypass... Wired properly (as not previously covered) it will "seem" legal when pulled over (if that is your concern) and you can bypass when safe to do so for the comfort of your cabin buddies...

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
Then you'd be stuck with you're handbrake light on while you drive around, and my Calais would be playing the "idiot" chime too :bang:

Be inventive people, as stated earlier, you can have it run through you're handbrake, but also have a bypass... Wired properly (as not previously covered) it will "seem" legal when pulled over (if that is your concern) and you can bypass when safe to do so for the comfort of your cabin buddies...

"As not previously covered",what is that supposed to mean??
My post tells you exactly how to wire it.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Just as extra input, I'd recomend you connect to the handbrake AND also to earth, but put a switch on the earth.
So you can use it whilst driving, and in the event of RWC or other nasty events, you can switch it to normal operation mode.
And don't put a label on your switch. lolz

It is illegal for a screen to be in use whilst ANY part of the screen is viewable by driver,
regardless of angle or area, while the vehicle is not in park with the handbrake on.
Even if the driver "claims" to not be watching.
- You have been warned...

This is how i have done it a 3 position switch middle terminal has the wire coming from the head unit. the top terminal has a wire going to the handbrake and the bottom terminal has the wire going to earth... works a treat. but either way never been pulled over for it.

Had rbt and random stops where the cops go oh is that dvd screen oh cool and thats it

SEXCVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP EXECUTIVE MANUAL
guys i was getting my dvd head unit put in professionally so i get the warrenty on installation and the unit. anyone think that the installer would wire the switch for me or even if i do it later after he installes it, would it still be under warrenty?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
you will blow your warranty clean out of the water if YOU did it. HE should have a warranty on his workmanship no matter how he installs it

SEXCVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP EXECUTIVE MANUAL
so if i get him to put the switch in the circuit so that the DVD unit works while driving, would he do it under warranty so i dont loose the unit and the installation warrenty