Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it possible to move the ve roof antenna ???

v_brad_x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
I want to move the antenna off my ve's roof and maybe have it under the bonnet.
has anyone thought of doing this?? i just reckon it will look much smoother. also if somebodies looking to do it i have purchased a BMW shark fin placing it over the old part which the antenna screwed into and spraying it to the color of my ute as a nice little finish.

Shm1ck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Thunder Ute
Are you moving the antenna, then putting a BMW Shark fin over existing hole?

Shm1ck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Thunder Ute
" also if somebodies looking to do it i have purchased a BMW shark fin"

Did you?

He asked if it is possible to move the antenna, then states he has purchased the shark fin as a replacement.
If your going for a smooth finish as he has stated, putting the fin as a replacement would really be defeating the purpose.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
If you wanted to remove the antenna, and fill in the hole, then thats going to be very expensive to do.
(Paint wise, its a fair bit of work to match up and blend in, let alone welding up the hole)...

If you wanted to stick a shark fin over the hole, the you will probably want to keep the antenna base there to stop water leaking in to the cabin.
As for antenna position, you wouldnt want to put it in the engine bay, as the amount of RF generated by things like ignition, and injectors would make the antenna near useless...
Glass areas are your best bet if you do not want ANY visible antenna, however window tinting can reduce the effectiveness of this as well.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
am thinking of removing mine as friend of mine is a panel beater would help me fill the hole and spray my roof. and i was going to mount a rear glass strip one. u would hardly notice it behind the tinted windows.

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
You remove the ariel, and the wires attach to the inside of the shark fine.

The shark fine has woven wires on the inside and operates as your new ariel, no need to relocate it.

The shake fine fits over the base of your existing ariel..............

Here is the link, no need for panel beaters or paint if you order here.

http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_Installation.html