Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it possible to run a sub without an amp? if so how effective will it be?

Aarony92

Aaron
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
yea just wondering if it would work and how it would be possible to wire it up to a head unit without a sub output. sorry if there was already a thread about this but i didn't find one so yea,

cheers,

aazn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX lumina
yes you can.. but you will get next to no volume out of it..

getting a low powered 8" sub and running it off the rear channels will work but then you need to cross it over set it up in a small box. etc.

honestly not worth it.. better off getting a decent set of splits and running them off the headunit.. will give you much nicer bass.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
yes you can.. but you will get next to no volume out of it..

getting a low powered 8" sub and running it off the rear channels will work but then you need to cross it over set it up in a small box. etc.

honestly not worth it.. better off getting a decent set of splits and running them off the headunit.. will give you much nicer bass.

Most decent subs won't even move with only about 15wrms getting to them. Also if the sub impedance is anything but 4-ohms you risk damaging the H/U too.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Put a sub on a 1W amp and you'll be surprised at the volume... Look at a sub's sensitivity rating, it's usually high 80's to low 90dB range... That is not barely moving :)

But no, running a sub directly from a head unit won't sound very good as the head unit amp is not very capable of reproducing such low frequencies at any decent power level.

Aarony92

Aaron
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
hmm, thats about what i thought might happen if i tried to do it :\, i've got 4 6" speakers, 2 x 3 way 300watt and the others are 6" 2 way kicker 195 watt speakers. they sound alright so i'm a bit strapped for cash to get new splits although i'm sure they would sound much nicer.

So i guess my idea of powering it without an amp is scrapped, do i need to get a mono amp or will stereo work? seeing stereo ones are usually cheaper ha.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Put a sub on a 1W amp and you'll be surprised at the volume... Look at a sub's sensitivity rating, it's usually high 80's to low 90dB range... That is not barely moving :)

But no, running a sub directly from a head unit won't sound very good as the head unit amp is not very capable of reproducing such low frequencies at any decent power level.

I stand corrected.

hmm, thats about what i thought might happen if i tried to do it :\, i've got 4 6" speakers, 2 x 3 way 300watt and the others are 6" 2 way kicker 195 watt speakers. they sound alright so i'm a bit strapped for cash to get new splits although i'm sure they would sound much nicer.

So i guess my idea of powering it without an amp is scrapped, do i need to get a mono amp or will stereo work? seeing stereo ones are usually cheaper ha.

A 2-channel amp will be OK as long as the impedance of the sub will match it. Most 2-channels produce 4-ohms when bridged, so as long as your sub is a 4-ohm SVC or a 2-ohm DVC you will be OK.

If you tell us the sub model we can suggest some amps for it. Also Joe the car audio sponsor here has got some new amps that produce some decent amounts of power for bloody cheap.

Aarony92

Aaron
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Well i haven't really picked out a sub yet because i'm thinking maybe a slimline sub would minimize on the space i need for it, but i will be sure to look out for the impedance of the speaker when i poke around.

I've got about 100-200 to spend which i might have to increase if i decide on a slim sub as i've noticed they seem to be pricier. Anyone had any experince with the slimline subs? Do they sound ok?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
A better set of fronts, and some decent 6x9's for the rear, will offer much more value than a sub at that price point.Spending $200 on some used speakers can get you something decent if your patient, and know what to look for.

If you don't have an amplifier for your current setup, then get one. Without sufficient power even the cheapest of speakers won't reach their full potential.

You get what you pay for, $100 worth of bass, will sound like $100 worth of bass. Factor in the overall size of the vehicle, the addition of a cheap is a very poor choice as far as component selection goes.