Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it safe to disconnect battery??

neville17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Lumina
I am going to replace the radiator in my VY Commodore on the weekend and replace the RHS indicator bulb at the same time (which has blown). Just wanted to ask if it is safe to remove the battery whilst I do this to get it completely out of the way. Probably be disconnected for about half a day, just want to make sure this wont damage the cars computer system or affect the cars tune in any way. I have the radio PIN so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
It won't cause any problems.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
It will destroy the space time continuum nah should be fine it will take a while for the car to learn it settings etc but will be fine.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Just make sure you have the code for the radio if it's OEM.

neville17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Lumina
If anyone is reading this thread just to confirm that I had the battery disconnected for about half a day and no problems at all once reconnected. Didn't even need to reset the radio PIN. Car started and ran perfectly from first turn of the key. The radiator - well that's a different story! Bit frustrating but got there in the end and all good now.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You're lucky.

I heard that sometimes the Flux Capacitor can leak and hence cause space and time to meet at one junction causing dark matter to implode on itself

Thank ya lucky stars there that it didnt happen to you

Brookekeen2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
just to add to this, I have a vz commodore that’s currently sitting in my garage while I save to get the timing chain fixed as it’s going, but was wondering if it would be safe to disconnect my battery as I won’t be using the car for atleast 2 months, was wondering what’s the longest I should leave the battery disconnected or should I leave it hooked up

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
just to add to this, I have a vz commodore that’s currently sitting in my garage while I save to get the timing chain fixed as it’s going, but was wondering if it would be safe to disconnect my battery as I won’t be using the car for atleast 2 months, was wondering what’s the longest I should leave the battery disconnected or should I leave it hooked up

Just leave it all hooked up and attach a quality battery charger/tender to it.