Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth doing... ?

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Hi everyone,

I'm considering putting a new head unit in my car. I currently have an aftermarket Pioneer or JVC or something like that. Either way. I don't particularly like it, and I want USB and bluetooth.

This is the Pioneer unit I like the look and features of.
DEH-7350BT CD Tuner with iPod Control, Front USB, 2 RCA Pre-outs and Bluetooth - Pioneer Car Stereo - Digital Media Receiver

Now my question is, is it worth buying the head unit now and doing the speakers/amp/sub later on at some stage, or is it better to just do everything in the one hit ? Maybe even Head unit and speakers for now, and play with a sub and amp later on, or would I just be wasting time ?

The reason I ask is that I'm getting very sick of listening to the same music in the car (and cant be bothered burning cd's constantly with new stuff) and would enjoy being able to use the bluetooth and having a truck load of songs on USB available to me. My current speakers DO need upgrading also though, but not sure what to get exactly. Thinking front 6" splits and rear 6" door speakers only.

Am I going to get THAT much of a saving by buying in bulk?

Also... is it worth rewiring with new speaker cable or should the stock cabling be sufficient ??

Thanks, and sorry for the rambling :p

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
maybe just get the H/U and the speakers for now and see how they go and if you want more then get the sub and amp later but get it all done properly so you dont need to change later on

my Opinion anyways

some shops do good deals when you buy bulk and get them to install it.. if you plan on getting a sub and amp later on you might as well do it all at once

Last edited:

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
I'm happy to install it myself. I've installed full systems into a couple of cars before.
The hardest bit will probably just be working out how to safely remove various panels etc to run the cable if running new speaker wire is necessary/beneficial.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Cheers Mag00 looks like that was a handy link!

So back to the original question, is just installing a head unit worth the hassle ? or should I be looking to install speakers (and possibly amp/sub) at the same time ?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
The standard speakers are pretty average just upgrading the speakers and head unit to something good will be ok. But you need to think now whether you want to run sub and amp. Otherwise it's pull all the dash apart to run RCA's and the remote lead.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Definitely want a sub and amp at some stage, probably just not at this very moment.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
No need to change the speaker wiring for new speakers that are running from the head unit.

I've found my stock VT speakers suited the car better than non-amplified aftermarket speakers... They had more bass (midbass) than aftermarket until I deadened the doors and amplified the speakers. The aftermarket speakers will play quite a bit louder than the stock ones though, just without decent bass.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
My current speakers distort on bass straight away if you try and put some decent volume through them.
Might actually just do the standard wiring like you've suggested, and then when the amp and sub go in, rewire.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Wire is wire when it comes to speakers really unless you got some competition style speakers.