Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth doing... ?

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Just make sure your RCAs won't short by wrapping them in electrical tape while they aren't plugged into an amp, pretty pedantic, but some headunits do blow fuses because of it.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Cool, will keep that in mind. Thanks man.

Another question, which I'm sure has been asked a million times.

Thinking I want a 12" sub and 1 amp, is this going to be good enough or should I be looking at an amp for the speakers and one for the sub.
I don't want to blow HUGE money but I want a fairly clean sounding system etc.
The front splits and sub could be run off a 4 channel amp and the rear speakers from the head unit or is this stupid ?

Might be able to buy my head unit and F&R speakers this week :D

I was thinking a budget of around $200 or something would be okay for a sub, not sure about what I should put on an amp ??
Anyone recommend me any subs/amps ?

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
May I suggest you concentrate on your head unit and front speakers, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here :p I like that you want clean sound, rather than just fully sick bass, that's a good start :beer chug:

Okay, firstly, I would suggest that you DO NOT pay money to upgrade your rear speakers, but instead just run your stock rear speakers off of the headunit.

Think of it this way, you're at a Pendulum concert (or whatever), standing towards the stage, you naturally expect the sound come from infront of you yes? It messes with your sound stage to have rear speakers, and it's absolutely unnecessary to spend money on upgrading your rear speakers, unless you care about your rear passengers that much. This is YOUR money, not theirs, spend a good amount on front speakers that will go loud enough while remaining clear.

If you really need rear speakers, use the stock ones and run them off of the headunit, fading towards the front so that the stock rears don't distort at higher volumes. At a later date when you have more money and have the need to upgrade them, you can do so.

So, what is your budget for your headunit and front speakers?

Just to answer your question about the sub and amp, there are many options to go with as far as amplifiers go. You could just power your speakers off of the headunit and run the subwoofer from a monoblock, you could get a 4 channel and run the front speakers off of channels 1 and 2 and run the subwoofer off of bridged 3 and 4, you could get a 5 channel amp, you could get a 2 channel and a monoblock. There are so many options, however the most preferred option is a 4 channel amplifier and a monoblock amplifier. That way, if you decide to not get rear speakers you can run the front speakers bridged off of the 4 channel, and then can add rears at any time. Having the 4ch and monoblock just allows you to upgrade much easier in the future.

Last edited:

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Well at a quick glance I was thinking around $400-$500, having a quick look on Ebay it looked like I could get my pioneer HU, Hertz front splits HSK-165's and rear Hertz speakers for around $550 or so.
But again, that's just at a quick glance without looking too much into it.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Be very careful with Hertz speakers on the internet, there are so many fake copies out there it's unbelievable.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Be very careful with Hertz speakers on the internet, there are so many fake copies out there it's unbelievable.

Just like most. I wouldn't trust ebay with speakers to be honest. Kingwood etc. There so close you won't even notice the difference till 2 months down the track and their falling apart.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
The one's I've been looking at look legit to me, even come with a 12 month Australian warranty.
I'll look into it a bit more and possibly even look in local stores too.
I'd prefer to support the local industry by all means, but it pisses me off that sometimes you can find the same thing for half the price (maybe an exaggeration), elsewhere.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Read the PM mate. That link for the Hertz speakers seems a bit dodgey. If you do buy them, pay through PayPal. When you receive them, run the serial numbers past Hertz, they should be able to verify them against their records. If they are legit, you have a bargain. If they are fake, you can launch a dispute through PayPal buyer protection and get your money back. You really have nothing to lose, other than a bit of screwing around.

Just because they write something, doesn't mean it's true (12 month warranty etc.).

Last edited:

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Righto!

So tonight I went shopping at a couple of audio places.
I ended up purchasing the HSK 165's, had a listen to them in store and was happy with the sound. They were surprisingly a bit more expensive than I had anticipated, in comparison to the ones on Ebay... so it makes me wonder whether the ones I saw on Ebay were actually legit, or whether I got ripped.
Either way, I got them, happy with the way they were packaged etc and their feel. They feel like they're quality, not cheap ****.

I decided to only get the front's for the moment mainly due to the price. I figure I can always chuck in a set of rear's later at any point.

I also bought a new head unit, well 2 actually.. one is for my gf as a birthday present for her new car she gets on the weekend.
The head unit's we got are the Pioneer I originally wanted, and at a reasonable price considering I was able to get my hands on them straight away rather than wait a few weeks and wonder if it was a legitimate item from ebay.

Now I'm thinking about trying to install this gear over the weekend.

First thing I want to ask is, other than the stuff in the boxes... is there anything else, equipment or wiring etc that I need or should have on hand to do the job?
I was thinking maybe a soldering iron and some extra speaker wire, but wasn't sure.

Second thing is, when I install the head unit, should I look at fitting some RCA cables to the back and maybe just tuck them up and away for the time being (and maybe label them?) so that when I fit the amp all I need to do is run the cables and then rewire the speakers? or will I pretty much have to pull the head unit out any way to remove the previous speaker wire connections etc?

I have more questions about which sub/amp to look at but I think we should attack the above first and go from there :D

Thanks again for your suggestions/advice.