Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth fixing

JV Jay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Bought a VH from the old man (Mum said it had to go. 20 years in the car port was to much) for a couple K and plan to fix her up. She runs (a bit rough but, like at bat outa hell) and is still registered but all the seals are shot from sitting. A quote for 6k just for parts (all seals and gaskets. motor, gear box, brakes and suspension) and a guess of 4k for labour. Im not sure if its worth fixing.
The old man was given the car in the early 90's from someone who couldn't pay for us wiring up his shed, and this guy said it was a group 3 SS, I was never convinced. If it is, that would answer the question. Attached are the compliance plates and there is no G3 or SS.

How can I confirm either way
Comp plate 1.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Sounds like a pretty original v8 vh even if not a grp3.
I say it is time to learn to do stuff yourself and make a project out of it.
I would like to see what is included in your 6k. As it seems alot. (Does it include all new calipers and master cyl?)
20yrs is quite a while though.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If it was Group3, it would have a HDT plate also. But that could have been souvenired by somebody in the past.

JV Jay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Sounds like a pretty original v8 vh even if not a grp3.
I say it is time to learn to do stuff yourself and make a project out of it.
I would like to see what is included in your 6k. As it seems alot. (Does it include all new calipers and master cyl?)
20yrs is quite a while though.
Not sure what it includes, have asked for a breakdown. The plan was to make it a project but situations change and I no longer have the time.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
AKAIK, the XV2 in the Model code indicates SS.

L36 is 253 while M21 is 4 speed manual.

Build date indicates it was one of the early build SS which were initially only 253s.

Without a HDT build plate I doubt it would be a HDT car unless the plate was pilfered some time in the past.

Certainly not Group 3 as they were 308s (L31).

To be sure you can always contact HDT and they will confirm.

IMHO worth getting back on the road.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Defiantly sounds like a -
SS to me also
with
L36 [253]
M21 [Aussie 4 Speed] where they usually only put M20's behind 253 [aka 4.2 Litre's]
GU4 [Salisbury single spinner Diff, probably 3.08, or a 3.55 or similar ratio depends if it been changed] where they did usually put LSD's behind 308's [aka 5.0 Litres] & M21's.
Would be a good project
I re-built my 253 [4.2] in my 1977 Torana,
re-built the 4 Speed [M20] a few too many times, [knew the M20 internals like the back of my hand]
Put a LSD in it,
Was Great Car, and that was a great learning project,
Sadly sold it a couple of years after that in 1982, should of kept it.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
If it was Group3, it would have a HDT plate also. But that could have been souvenired by somebody in the past.
Not necessarily, cause when made, they never had HDT build plates, these were added by the owner later on.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
^^ Yep some owners never bothered going back for build tags when they became available a few years later...hard to prove without recorded proof then verification...contacting commodorenut would be worth the effort.

Throw up more pics of interior & exterior.

Assuming it matches chassis number on radiator support could be base model ss...tags say maranello red,253/m21

One thing not sure about those 2 tags if body number supposed to match chassis number.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
If you have the $10k get it done & enjoy it now.

A nice VH that will be bullet proof in standard form, it will only appreciate as long as it doesn't have cancer.

Enjoy....

JV Jay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
^^ Yep some owners never bothered going back for build tags when they became available a few years later...hard to prove without recorded proof then verification...contacting commodorenut would be worth the effort.

Throw up more pics of interior & exterior.

Assuming it matches chassis number on radiator support could be base model ss...tags say maranello red,253/m21

One thing not sure about those 2 tags if body number supposed to match chassis number.
Thanks gtrboy, and thanks to all for the info. Will try get some more pic's this arvo. the chassis number does seem to match so it could well be an SS.

Vin.jpg