Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth fixing?

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Some of those things aren't going to be fixed in one attempt.
You might end up spending much more than you think diagnosing fuel issues etc.
Then it wont be end of it.
More things will pop up by the time you've done that list.
I'd start looking for a new car and drive it till it stops.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
To elaborate in the last 3 months Ive had to fix intake manifold gasket leak (slugged $600) New radiator (slugged $600) new water pump (slugged $300) it's been an endless money pit over the last few months everything seems to be happening at once.

I maybe wrong, but those things sound like a mechanic was looking at why a car was using water and just threw parts at it until the problem was fixed.

Unfortunately if you're not mechanically minded, repairs to a car will be expensive...

10k budget for another car...You should be able to find something decent, but allow for any unexpected issues to crop up within the first month of buying it....a 2nd hand car, means things are bound to need replacing fairly soon, as people generally sell them to save spending more money on them....

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
VC Commodore is correct.
Never expect a used/2nd hand car to be perfect.
I would suggest whatever you buy if you buy second hand that as soon as you purchase it spend 5 or 6 hundred dollars on it to have it checked over, change ALL the fluids to correct spec. , take off the wheels to check brake pads etc etc.
Fix everything that needs to be done immediately then every 6 months back in for oil and filter change and a full check over.
You should then have a reasonable reliable vehicle.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Old cars are a money pit unless you are capable of doing the work yourself and enjoy doing the work yourself. Even then, parts alone can be costly. If you can’t do such work or hate doing such work, paying a mechanic is paying for his holiday, especially if they take advantage of your lack of knowledge.

As for cheap used cars, people sell them for a reason, usually cause they need work which will cost $$. So you are taking a punt buying an old out of factory warranty car unless you know enough to check things out yourself or pay for a mob to check it for you... but even that is no guarantee...

About the only second hand car one won’t have costly issues with is something coming off lease and with a few years of factory warranty left. Such cars are maintained as the factory required (but always check the log book and if possible check with the owners insurance company for accident repairs). Such cars are generally great as the owner simply wants to roll over to a new lease vehicle and not selling it because of issues... Problem is they are much more expensive than an old car... You can always look at cheaper lease cars rather than Merc’s or Bimmers. Consider the cheaper end of the market, smaller Toyota or Hyundai or Kia and the like. You may find something in your price range. Give a lease company a call and ask, you may or may not be surprised... A two second google found this mob, streetfleet.

After all three year old car ($20k new) with 2 years of factory warranty left may only cost $12k and would only need yearly fixed price service, and every few years brake pads and tyres...

Outbak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Wagon
2k to fix your wagon is not to bad if it makes it reliable enough for you. Id spend if you want to keep it and are willing to persist with some repairs over time. They are simple cars with plenty of spares. Look inside the engine bay there is lots of space helping with easy access for repairs.

I still have my VY Ecotec wagon i purchased new and now has 245,000km. I spend what it needs. I really like my car. Its very nice to drive and practical. I too have recently spent money fixing my cooling system similar to you. Mine runs well now.

Id budget around $500 - $1000 per year to maintain it outside of rego and insurance.

There will be a few options for your budget of $10k. For example Toyota and there might be Kia's with factory warranty left. Kia from memory did 5yr and then swapped to 7yr warranties.

Good luck with it.