Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is it worth getttin subs?

vpwgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec Wagon
gday, this is just a quick question. i listen to pretty much everything but mostly listen to like rock sorta music and was wundering if subs would actually b worth gettin. sumtimes ill hear songs with an awsome bass line and think i shuld get a sub but i dunno if i can justify spending money on a sub/amp. atm ive got 2 x 6" up front and 2 x 6x9" in the back (wagon). so yer... is it worth it? im considering gettin a cheap sub from like jaycar or sumfin but yer... wat music do ppls with subs listen too? ne help would b awsome. thanks
Nick

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
normally 6x9's will give the bass you want
it's up to the individual wether or not to get subs
if you do get a sub dont go cheap cause you won't get the bass responce to give the right effect.

hope thiis little bit helps with your decision.

O

OmegaMV6

Are you kidding??? A sub is out to make Mono bass, 6x9" are to give you your middle and treble (sterio sound)!
A good set up should aways have 2 amps, one on a mono block, filtering your sound down as low as it can in the Hz range for deap punchie bass, and the other amp should be set for all the rest, so the contrast is right between bass and treble. If you try and use the 6x9"'s for bass they will distort the sound.
vpwgn said:
im considering gettin a cheap sub from like jaycar or sumfin
I wouldent, get a decent set up, and it will last you a long time, better made, and easyer to set up, and alot more tolerent to abuse/ wrong installation.

I made the mistake and got a cheap set up at the start.. and never had anything but problems!!
All you need is a decent sub, a box, amp(with as lower Hz range as you can afford0, and the cableing (dont go too small)

subs are most suited for Rock music..or anything with general bass, the difference a sub makes is unbelivable in my opinion!

Hope this helps ;)

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
I think it depends also on the style of music you listen to. Most rock music sounds good enough with a good set of 6x9s and a decent amp.

But if you don't need the bootspace and can afford the setup (box, amp, wiring, fuse) and don't mind pulling apart the interior, then a 12" will add a really good punch to the baseline as well as emphasising the kick drums which is pretty much what you want i think.

Just get some advice about wiring and cabling, use thick (2 gauge) power cable if you plan to run a couple of amps thow.

Good luck with it mate ;)

Cheers
Paul

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
don't forget he is in a wagon, if i was you for safety reasons i wouldn't get a sub, to visable to the lower half of society. i would buy an amp and run your 6x9's off that you should get more bass out of them then.

cheers

scott

vpwgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec Wagon
thanks for the replies fellas. i think ill just stick with my 6x9's and mayb get an amp for em. thanks agen.

O

OmegaMV6

xstatic said:
don't forget he is in a wagon, if i was you for safety reasons i wouldn't get a sub, to visable to the lower half of society. i would buy an amp and run your 6x9's off that you should get more bass out of them then.

cheers

scott

Gotta agree on the theft risk factor, but remember, where there are 6x9's on the rear parcel shelf, there generally is a sound system!
Never install 6x9's on display, same with an amp, you just never know!

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Well, everybody kinda talks up the 6x9's and amp combo... I really don't know why.

I've experienced it a few times, sure- it gets loud.. But it sounds like trash.. Not enough bass either.

Subs can be covered up with a towel/ throw over or something..

S

scott8888

I have the same setup in my wagon with the 6" sperakers in door pods up the front and a set of 6x9's in the back. Yes it can sound good however i think a sub would make it alot better. When i can get my hands on some kind of blind that rolls out from the back seat like the vy & vz ones you can buy as options, i will get the sub and amp. There was a blind thingy made for the vp but is now obsolete. Also i was thinking about re-tinting my car because it has faded and when i do i was going to make the back three windows (2 sides and rear) completely black however the legalities of this are negotiable because i have read that you can do it if you have rear vision mirrors on both sides but i have also had people tell me that it is not legal at all. i think i will have to ask the coppers and see what they say.
Hope this gives you a few more ideas,
Scott.

H

hypo_v6

yeah, im with everyone else, i have brought a decent sound system

JVC mp3 player
kenwood 6.5'' splits
" " 6x9's
Kenwood sub
then i went the cheap way out with my amp buying a US Audio amp :bang: and that has let my stereo down, its used to run my sub and the sub really isn't getting enough power, ive seen the sub i got really move, although the amp will be good for the speakers

anyway, spend your money now saves you replacing everything later on
ive heard good things about jaycar amps and subs. . but you cant go past the top name brands if you got some spare money!

i will always get a sub, for one, people go "OH WOW" and the extra bass will make you wonder why you ever even questioned getting one!
bye :wave: