Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth upgrading from an SV6 to a SS?

Bazza0123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I have been considering upgrading to a VF2 6.2L SS.

Is the low end torque much higher going from 0-60 or 0-80km/h? (If you have driven both)

Am I getting anything else worthwhile except a bigger engine? (already got satnav)

How is the fuel economy for someone with a lead foot? (I get about 12-14L/100km)

Should I just swap for a XR6 Turbo and get it tuned for more power? (considering anything under 25k with great power to weight ratios and great reliability)

If anyone has any personal experience or thoughts I would love to hear it, Cheers.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Not much going on in the low end of the 6.2L. I actually wish it had a bit more. Things only start to get interesting around 3500RPM. Mine is Manual and I average 17L/100 driving around Sydney.

Bazza0123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Not much going on in the low end of the 6.2L. I actually wish it had a bit more. Things only start to get interesting around 3500RPM
What speed are you hitting 3500RPM? I only want to get an auto so it might be a bit different.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I have been considering upgrading to a VF2 6.2L SS.

Is the low end torque much higher going from 0-60 or 0-80km/h? (If you have driven both)

Am I getting anything else worthwhile except a bigger engine? (already got satnav)

How is the fuel economy for someone with a lead foot? (I get about 12-14L/100km)

Should I just swap for a XR6 Turbo and get it tuned for more power? (considering anything under 25k with great power to weight ratios and great reliability)

If anyone has any personal experience or thoughts I would love to hear it, Cheers.

What model XR6T are you looking at?

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
If money is a problem but you still want power get an XR6T. Much cheaper to modify than the SS. In saying that the VF2 is much nicer car to drive than the XR6T, and it's much nicer on the interior. If you're buying an auto I preferred the GM box compared to the box in the FGX XR6T, never driven an XR6T manual though.

Fuel eco for a 6L 6M for myself is 14L/100. Could only imagine it's worse with an extra .2L of displacement.

0-100 times is 5 seconds for the SS and 7 seconds for the SV6 so that should tell you the difference between the two. As other posters have said it really opens up higher in the rev range.

Bazza0123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
If money is a problem but you still want power get an XR6T. Much cheaper to modify than the SS. In saying that the VF2 is much nicer car to drive than the XR6T, and it's much nicer on the interior. If you're buying an auto I preferred the GM box compared to the box in the FGX XR6T, never driven an XR6T manual though.

Fuel eco for a 6L 6M for myself is 14L/100. Could only imagine it's worse with an extra .2L of displacement.

0-100 times is 5 seconds for the SS and 7 seconds for the SV6 so that should tell you the difference between the two. As other posters have said it really opens up higher in the rev range.

With the 0-100 I was concerned that all the power would be once you are hitting 70+km/h which I would rarely get to experience. I enjoy flooring it whenever I have the chance off a roundabout or lights but the speed limit is 60-80 (safely of course). I would like to get something like a tesla 3 performance but that is just too far out of my budget.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

I agree the turboed ford is the best bang for buck but the offset is the VF is the better all rounder.

A tune with the normal bolt ons will improve the fuel economy on the 6 & 6.2 litre.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
With the 0-100 I was concerned that all the power would be once you are hitting 70+km/h which I would rarely get to experience. I enjoy flooring it whenever I have the chance off a roundabout or lights but the speed limit is 60-80 (safely of course). I would like to get something like a tesla 3 performance but that is just too far out of my budget.

If you're a young fella that type of driving will quickly see you using public transport, you don't have to exceed the speed limit to upset the cops.

Forget the turbo then and tune the Holden as you'll jump a bit quicker then the Ford will take you in gear.

Bazza0123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
If you're a young fella that type of driving will quickly see you using public transport, you don't have to exceed the speed limit to upset the cops.

Forget the turbo then and tune the Holden as you'll jump a bit quicker then the Ford will take you in gear.

Full traction under the speed limit? What would I lose my license over if I am not near pedestrians? I am mid-20's and haven't got a ticket yet (knock knock).

How much of an increase could I get from tuning my SV6? (or do you mean the SS)