Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth upgrading from an SV6 to a SS?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Just get the V8, add exhaust, cai and tune. If that's not fast enough for you, add a blower and chase that last kw to your hearts content. Knowing you have a chassis that's up to the task. But get the Redline, not the SS. With your style of driving I think your going to need Bembo brakes.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
a ticket for ‘undue noise manner operated’

That was / is a wide ranging, catch all fine.

I once got done with the same for using musical airhorns lol.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Even if you do only one interstate/long haul trip per year then the V8 is where it’s at..granted it seems most people want to fly trips of any distance these days.

I’ve done a good few in the V6 over the years but the 2 longest V8 trips have been inland Bris to Bathurst return & pacific highway Bris to Sydney return. On the open road the V8 is so relaxing in comparison...makes the higher fuel consumption for the rest of the year worth it.

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
The V8's aren't just about going fast. They offer someone who likes to drive a really nice experience. Like many cars with the right motor fitted and great design. The V6 has always been a lot of work since the idea in the VN. If only they stuck with the Nissan straight 6 like they were going to do. We would be in a different place right now.
The V8's just sell them selves. the V6's are always backed up with convincing blabber about economy etc to try sell the idea.
My V6 works bloody hard to lug the Crewman around and the L77 or L98 would be spot on.
My mates cross 8 struggled with life even with the LS.......hated it! Sluggish AF

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
As I said I've never been a saint and the last time I left a set of lights at full throttle the fellow on the motorbike in the lane next to me pulled up beside me again a few traffic lights down the road with his jaw dragging along the road and asked me what the f... is that.

It was back in 2010 at North Rocks and it was the first time he’d ever seen a C63 do its ‘axe murdering’ trick.

My wife was silent for the rest of the trip home and after she got out and I used a pair of pliers to remove her fingernails from the dash I said to her, “sorry, my foot slipped”.
Are you a North Rocks boy? I'm not far from there. Bloody North Rocks, that place is like the Bermuda triangle of cooling systems for me. I drive thousands of ks around the country but every time anything goes wrong with my cooling system it happens in North Rocks! Radiators, water pumps, heater taps... They all blow up in North Rocks LOL!!!

Bazza0123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Even if you do only one interstate/long haul trip per year then the V8 is where it’s at..granted it seems most people want to fly trips of any distance these days.

I’ve done a good few in the V6 over the years but the 2 longest V8 trips have been inland Bris to Bathurst return & pacific highway Bris to Sydney return. On the open road the V8 is so relaxing in comparison...makes the higher fuel consumption for the rest of the year worth it.

Aren't the suspensions the same between the SV6/SS? What is making the V8 more relaxing when cruising on the highway at 110km/h?

Bazza0123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Juat get the V8, add exhaust, cai and tune. If that's not fast enough for you, add a blower and chase that last kw to your hearts content. Knowing you have a chassis that's up to the task. But get the Redline, not the SS. With your style of driving I think your going to need Bembo brakes.

Redline seems a bit high for my pricepoint unless I just get a VF instead of a VF2. I don't need to brake hard usually since I only really floor it on empty streets with full traction.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Aren't the suspensions the same between the SV6/SS? What is making the V8 more relaxing when cruising on the highway at 110km/h?
The low down torque and tall gearing. But yes the V6s are also great on the highway. My Berlina loves it.

Bazza0123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Hey brah..you don't come to holden forum and ask if you should buy Ford ;)
Anyway...If i was you I would test drive an SS and most of your questions would be answered...

I had SV6 previously and now have an SS...
I would not go back...ever...

PS. Don't buy a V8 if the fuel economy is your primary concern...but in saying that SV6 Vs SS in the same driving conditions in my case varied by about 3L per 100km

No VF2 Auto SS's for sale near me sadly, I would test drive one if I could. (owner/dealer might get pissy anyway)
Fuel is always a concern as I don't want to be spending 100 bucks a week on fuel as Im not a wealthy retiree but I am willing to spend a bit for enjoyment.
I definitely understand not wanting to go back to a car with less power, I do miss flooring my little Yaris around corners however.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Yes, both FE2 suspension but that’s not the issue.

Plenty of up and down hills (eg New England tableland) and whether dual lanes or straight flat stretches, you find yourself coming around a bend to find someone towing etc struggling in the left lane or up behind something similar dragging itself up an incline and it’s a quick safety check and then a stab on the loud pedal with no further run up needed. Cruise control (not being adaptive of course) only relaxes the leg so much on long trips and I have found that after 9 or 10 hours behind the wheel with just a few brief stops along the way my body is far more relaxed with the SS..ie less aches and tension in the lower half of the body....for me anyway it’s undeniable and if you’ve never compared the two engines with full loads on long trips then there is a good chance you’ll be pleasantly surprised if you get the opportunity.

Fuel economy on these long trips...with a VZ SV6 sedan I used to get down to high 6’s but the VF2 SV6 ute I have only experienced low 7’s. The SS lowest has been 8.3... not that much higher really and certainly compensated by the joy of a more relaxing drive.

Of course for everyday running, apart from fuel consumption there is the cost of unleaded vs premium. We’re fortunate enough to live close to a Costco and so I have never paid more than the low $1.50’s at worst in the fuel cycle. Our Costco doesn’t sell unleaded (just the E10) so I’m paying similar prices to fill the V6 ute elsewhere with unleaded.