Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth upgrading from an SV6 to a SS?

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Haha...whatever. Most complaints I hear about the Falcon is that drivers can’t find a comfortable driving position...you’re obviously one of the few exceptions. VF2 cabin is way more than looks..nothing wrong with the seats either as I’ve done enough long distance driving in it to have no complaints, soreness etc etc after hours of driving.

Always preferred the LS3 to a turbo hairdryer too...but each to their own...
The most complaints you hear about the falcon lol,ive actually owned a heap and its first hand experience not hearsay like yourself,big difference.
I didnt expect you guys to like what i said because this is a holden forum,i have actually owned both cars and gave my personal experience with both of them,not making a judgement from other peoples stories(typical internet response),the truth isnt what counts here its being brand loyal bahaha.
Im not brand loyal unlike almost all car enthusiasts,i like good cars,both brands have good and bad points,both have major inherent faults,neither is better at all,just different.
The op asked for personal experiences,i gave one,it was always going to be a struggle because he used the ford word

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Thx for input, why does the turbo get boring quick? Vf seats are pretty comfortable imo.

Turbos are fast and make great low down torque,enough to smoke most stock na v8s,after a while they get boring because they have no soul,they sound rubbish and just get old quickly,my experience.
Theres no replacement for a nice sounding v8,even if its a slower vehicle,i chose the slower v8,ive done the turbo thing and im over it,i recommend it if you are after outright grunt and speed,its not for me though.
If you can stretch your funds id look for an fg f6 for around 25g,close to the performance of an lsa hsv except without the 50g plus pricetag.

Last edited:

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
The most complaints you hear about the falcon lol,ive actually owned a heap and its first hand experience not hearsay like yourself,big difference.
I didnt expect you guys to like what i said because this is a holden forum,i have actually owned both cars and gave my personal experience with both of them,not making a judgement from other peoples stories(typical internet response),the truth isnt what counts here its being brand loyal bahaha.
Im not brand loyal unlike almost all car enthusiasts,i like good cars,both brands have good and bad points,both have major inherent faults,neither is better at all,just different.
The op asked for personal experiences,i gave one,it was always going to be a struggle because he used the ford word

I disagree on your thoughts on comfort having owned or driven (for an extended period of time) a VE SV6, VE SSV, VF2 SSV, FG XT and an FGX XR6T. I even prefer my current VE SSV over the FGX XR6T (although the SSV has leather seats and the FGX has cloth seats), but the VF2 blows them all away IMO. My SSV with FE3 suspension feels much nicer to drive as well, although my old SV6 felt on-par with the FGX.

No doubts on power or bang for your buck, you're right on the money. Nothing beats a turbo Barra for the price!

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
And the most expensive. If the ssv wasn't double the price it would be an easier choice haha.

Depends on what you class as expensive, if you look around you can find some good deals.
Mine was only 26k almost 3 years ago.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Nope. I'm another advocate. A tuned 6L80E is a nice transmission in my opinion.
Ever driven a zf way ahead of a STOKE GM 6 pd, even tuned not a match a tuned zf is a gun

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I disagree on your thoughts on comfort having owned or driven (for an extended period of time) a VE SV6, VE SSV, VF2 SSV, FG XT and an FGX XR6T. I even prefer my current VE SSV over the FGX XR6T (although the SSV has leather seats and the FGX has cloth seats), but the VF2 blows them all away IMO. My SSV with FE3 suspension feels much nicer to drive as well, although my old SV6 felt on-par with the FGX.

No doubts on power or bang for your buck, you're right on the money. Nothing beats a turbo Barra for the price!
VE steering way better than Car feel

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Ever driven a zf way ahead of a STOKE GM 6 pd, even tuned not a match a tuned zf is a gun
Yeah, I've driven Falcon's from BA, through FGX. Ever driven a tuned 2017 VF? Despite being the same box model number, It's very different to the VE. It's quite simple. I like the throttle blips on downshift, the paddles and how it reacts to my driving. I dont recall ever having a Falcon go into performance active mode or whatever Ford calls it. So I can't compare there.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I think you'll find there are plenty of people on here with a similar philosophy to yours. Me included. I like cars. My heart loves Chrysler, my head GM. I prefer Holden's to Ford's generally speaking, but there are plenty of Henry's I would love to own. E.g an XA or XB GT Hartop, 429 Mustang etc. As you say, for each comparative model, there are good and bad points.
As for the seats, I much prefer the VF. I always feel like I'm sitting on a booster seat driving a Falcon. They're comfy enough to sit in, but I don't find them comfortable from a driving position perspective. On a trip, I always ended up with a back ache. VF's are a generation ahead of the FGX in my opinion.
Turbo barra's are quick and very easy to extract more power from. I didn't think a stock G6ET would pull a 13.1 second quarter mile but? Wow! I still much prefer the progressive power delivery of an NA V8 though (Not a stock one. They're too laggy. They need a tune, or at the very least a throttle conttoller.) That's one of the reasons I bought my Motorsport over an LSA HSV and even they lack the sudden rush of a turbo. Not that it's a bad thing. I want to be able to enjoy driving my car. Afterall, it's a road car. Not a drag car. Having so much instant power on tap that the slightest bit of throttle application erupts into tyre smoke does nothing for me. I know this is an extreme example but I'm using it into make my point about progressive NA power delivery.
The Falcon is a good car (I'd still own one). But, it's let down, not just by the decade old interior, but by the chassis too. The steering is slow and the rear subframe is prone to issues. It has a great 6 cyl, even NA it's one of the best in the world and a great ZF box. I also preferred the Falcon cruise control for many years. Until the VF, the cruise in Commies was pretty crap. But overall, as a package the VF is a far superior car to any Falcon. I guess you agree, as you bought one too?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I'm not a brand whore, I'm a car enthusiast and even though many enthusiasts may have preferences most will be like me and be into a range of makes and models. It's the fanboys who are a pain in the bum.

I’m always hearing the 6HP26 is the better transmission but a well-tuned 6L80E does a great job.

The 6HP26 in the Falcon is lighter but the 6L80E handles more torque than the 6HP26 being 750Nm compared to 600Nm.

I read a lot more dissatisfaction about their transmission from V8/Turbo Falcon owners than the owners of V8 Commodores but that’s mainly due to ‘The Milkshake’ in the Falcon where water gets in through the heat exchanger and bang, a rebuild is required.

Both transmission as a whole do a good job, what's to argue about?

Christmas Dad Joke: I Shot my first turkey today, it scared the s**t out of everyone in the frozen food aisle.....

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Back in the dark ages, back when cars used to be manufactured in this country, in comparisons between the last of the Falcons & Commodores it was always stated that the seating position with a Falcon was more “on” than “in”; and there was also talk of the driver’s seat feeling a bit offset from the wheel? [or was that fixed by FG-X?]

Regardless, what one person finds more comfortable will feel less comfortable to another. :)