Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth upgrading VF2 SS to 375 or 400 kw?

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Marty is right. If you are looking for power go straight to the blower. Or get continually smoked buy tune only turbos.

No use having a tough V8 if it hasnt the power to back it up.

400 at the treads is what is needed.

yz23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Dude unless you want to take it to the drag strip and prove to everyone there how quick your car is I woudl not worry about it. Just enjoy the power and sound of your V8.

lol, if i could afford an amg, i wouldn't be buying a holden.

im not a hoon and dont care for drags, just saying that the power delivery of this car stock is rather random, is all. So wanted to know if walknshaw 375 upgrade would solve that issue.

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Go the charger option.
My redline vf2 is so much better now.
The power is instant and torque increase really noticeable.
We still get 700km per tank on the highway.
I did the Tekno stage3 530powerpack
Have had plenty of V8 holdens, and this one is what I wished all the others went like.

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
In a perfect world all of us VF Series 2 owners would have a Heartbeat bolted to our engines. We all know how good they are, just look on youtube, 5-600HP at the wheels, reliable daily driver.
Its just that we dont all have a lazy 15-20k just laying around, so theres always the old school way of putting a cam in it, theres a member here Flo rida hes had the W375 kit from new and has just had it camed and is doing low 12s pass.. I myself have the W375 kit on my series 2 VF, and it does make a noticeable change..

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Heavy cars with unresponsive chassis always need lot of power to get off the mark quickly.

As well as engine work a good set of light weight rims and sticky street rubber is a must in my books.

W375 redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
W375 s2 redline
I got the W375 on my VF2 redline (manual) completly different car now with the package on it. Worth every cent do it I promise you wont regret it.

Anyone got 0-100 times with walknshaw 375? C63 amg is around 4.2 - 4.5 sec, 375 gets any close to that?

Should have got the amg then damn...

o well

Dude unless you want to take it to the drag strip and prove to everyone there how quick your car is I woudl not worry about it. Just enjoy the power and sound of your V8.
Hi all ☺ i have an manual my16ssvr with the w375 pack n i agree with richo in that it is one seriously good package : u wont b dissapointed yz thats for sure : as for wishing u got the amg all i can say is stuff that : just because its a bees d quicker id rather drive my redline anyday of the week and as paulie said : just get out there n enjoy it mate ☺

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
As your starting with the ls3 6.2 your bolt on package is more likely to produce high 200rwkw than the mid 200rwkw range. Add the inherent lower gearing of the vf2 and ubwill have a pretty orsome car.

In Victoria perhaps use someone like GM motorsports as you could get a package with a cam/ intake/headers upgrade c/$5k ish which will yield 320-330rwkw still with good road manners.

As mentioned in a previous post, upgrading tyres is critical to get the best out of the car overall. I run Michelin pilot super sports and along with an alignment tweek and a shock tower bar has totally transformed the ute from ho hum to a very precice instrument to throw around. Even in the wet your have good traction and cornering ability. They are 300 treadwear so they don't wear out like other grippy tyres. I've done about 15000km on them and they have heaps of tread left to get at least 30000km or more out of a set. I drive pretty well with traction control off permanently so I'm not babying it around.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Hi all ☺ i have an manual my16ssvr with the w375 pack n i agree with richo in that it is one seriously good package : u wont b dissapointed yz thats for sure : as for wishing u got the amg all i can say is stuff that : just because its a bees d quicker id rather drive my redline anyday of the week and as paulie said : just get out there n enjoy it mate ☺

Each to their own as we all have differing opinions but I couldn’t agree with yours.

I own both a manual Redline and a C63 and have a new C63 on order and if I was forced to choose between them I’d have no hesitation to putting a match to the Commodore.

Outright HP isn’t everything in a car and I know there is a big difference in the coin outlaid for the AMG over the Redline but there is also so much more car as well and I could spend an hour listing the differences.

You only have to put one on a hoist to see that.

The Redline is a good all round car for its price point and the Fords are an even better bang for buck but the Euro kills them everywhere else.

The Fords and Holdens when modded may shake them up in the HP stakes but that is the only place they get close and that is negated by the car guys who mod their Euros as there is an amazing amount of mods available for cars like the AMG’s that can also put them into the high HP arena.

I’d never spend money on a Walkinshaw package as I believe you get better value and results from some of the reputable tuners that have been around for a long time but with all my modded Commodores over the years I’ve never had any that respond like some of my newer AMG have for the simple matter that the Commodore chassis holds it back.

My advice to the OP is not to fall for the lure of the overpriced and rebadged Walkinshaw packages and brand but to look around and talk to a few well known tuners and see what you can get for your money before making a decision to mod or not.