Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth upgrading VF2 SS to 375 or 400 kw?

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Each to their own as we all have differing opinions but I couldn’t agree with yours.

I own both a manual Redline and a C63 and have a new C63 on order and if I was forced to choose between them I’d have no hesitation to putting a match to the Commodore.

Outright HP isn’t everything in a car and I know there is a big difference in the coin outlaid for the AMG over the Redline but there is also so much more car as well and I could spend an hour listing the differences.

You only have to put one on a hoist to see that.

The Redline is a good all round car for its price point and the Fords are an even better bang for buck but the Euro kills them everywhere else.

The Fords and Holdens when modded may shake them up in the HP stakes but that is the only place they get close and that is negated by the car guys who mod their Euros as there is an amazing amount of mods available for cars like the AMG’s that can also put them into the high HP arena.

I’d never spend money on a Walkinshaw package as I believe you get better value and results from some of the reputable tuners that have been around for a long time but with all my modded Commodores over the years I’ve never had any that respond like some of my newer AMG have for the simple matter that the Commodore chassis holds it back.

My advice to the OP is not to fall for the lure of the overpriced and rebadged Walkinshaw packages and brand but to look around and talk to a few well known tuners and see what you can get for your money before making a decision to mod or not.

Panhead...do you reckon the GTS and the C63 would be more comparable. Certainly closer in price...although still some margin there.

Personally I'm enjoying the W375 and am happy that I've some fall back with warranty (for what it's worth). Blower would be nice though.

W375 redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
W375 s2 redline
Each to their own as we all have differing opinions but I couldn’t agree with yours.

I own both a manual Redline and a C63 and have a new C63 on order and if I was forced to choose between them I’d have no hesitation to putting a match to the Commodore.

Outright HP isn’t everything in a car and I know there is a big difference in the coin outlaid for the AMG over the Redline but there is also so much more car as well and I could spend an hour listing the differences.

The Redline is a good all round car for its price point and the Fords are an even better bang for buck but the Euro kills them everywhere else.

The Fords and Holdens when modded may shake them up in the HP stakes but that is the only place they get close and that is negated by the car guys who mod their Euros as there is an amazing amount of mods available for cars like the AMG’s that can also put them into the high HP arena.

I’d never spend money on a Walkinshaw package as I believe you get better value and results from some of the reputable tuners that have been around for a long time but with all my modded Commodores over the years I’ve never had any that respond like some of my newer AMG have for the simple matter that the Commodore chassis holds it back.

My advice to the OP is not to fall for the lure of the overpriced and rebadged Walkinshaw packages and brand but to look around and talk to a few well known tuners and see what you can get for your money before making a decision to mod or not.
Hi mate : i agree with u 100% that the C63 is a far superior car in every aspect except bang for your buck : ive seen the specs on the 2016 C63 n yes they r impressive but as u said u r forking out alot more coin for that package n so u would expect it to b far superior : all i was saying is that id rather just drive my redline thats all ☺

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Panhead...do you reckon the GTS and the C63 would be more comparable. Certainly closer in price...although still some margin there.

Personally I'm enjoying the W375 and am happy that I've some fall back with warranty (for what it's worth). Blower would be nice though.

Mate I'm not having a go at anyones choice as we all have opinions, preferences and tastes, I'm just saying the performance Euros and Commodores don't relate on any level other than power output.

The LSA GTS is a great car as are the Commodores with packages from Walkinshaw, Tekno, KPM and a number of other tuners and heaven help that I should say it on this forum but I also think the turbo and supercharged Fords are a real goer as well and the XR6T would possibly be my choice if I was just looking for a lot of power with as little an outlay as possible.

I'm not a brand whore as I own a number of different makes, I just try to be practical and unbiased in my thinking.

The warranty comes from Walkinshaw and other tuners offer that as well, Holden will still warrant any unrelated issues outside of that.

You sound like you've already got the age old performance enthusiast's bug where you've upped the power then got used to it and now you're starting looking again, the blower would be a great solution.

Personally I like the sound of these packages but I've not tried one.

Powerpacks

I used to think power was everything but these days I also buy cars for other characteristics and understand too much power can just make a poor chassis feel poorer.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Having owned a well modified G6eT and now a stock HSV GEN F GTS there's no comparison between the two. Raw power of the Ford was great but the car as a package isn't meant to accommodate this upgrade.
The GTS, although not modded, has perfect balance and is a finely tuned machine - so much more than the Ford and even the VF SS I've got.
The GTS has a lot more power in it too, but with 430kw it's enough for what my wife's ability can do with it. AMG or M division sedans are a bit more upmarket but no more or less capable at motorsport.
Short of track work, the GTS is all the car you'll need. If you want to destroy lap records then you'll need purpose built cars like a Lotus or Porsche.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
i must be in the minority where i've gone from a VF with 245 rwkw to a VF2 with a magnuson pumping out over 400 rwkw, and sort of wished i still had the VF1. the VF2 is a dog to drive in traffic, though that probably has more to do with the cam and a very poor tune. You also can't use all that power as the thing wants to throw you into a wall at anything over half throttle........no traction at all.

Most tuners just look at getting maximum power to the back wheels and don't seem to give a **** about drive ability

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
i must be in the minority where i've gone from a VF with 245 rwkw to a VF2 with a magnuson pumping out over 400 rwkw, and sort of wished i still had the VF1. the VF2 is a dog to drive in traffic, though that probably has more to do with the cam and a very poor tune. You also can't use all that power as the thing wants to throw you into a wall at anything over half throttle........no traction at all.

Most tuners just look at getting maximum power to the back wheels and don't seem to give a **** about drive ability

Thought you were going to get someone else to look at that tune?

yz23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6

Couldnt agree more, my brother is buying c63s coupe and been for a test drive. That car is on another level, just like its price tag.

As for my holden i would love to get just that little more torque out of it and do it properly even if it costs a little more. No cheap and quick way.

Jscaff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2
I got the W375 on my VF2 redline (manual) completly different car now with the package on it. Worth every cent do it I promise you wont regret it.

Does your car go sideways in 1st and 2nd now?

Teddyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series II redline
Where did you get on done and how much? How different is it and what's your fuel consumption like?

I'm thinking about it abd really curios on the difference !

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Thought you were going to get someone else to look at that tune?

Got it back after not having it for nearly a week. Runs much better as the mixtures were all over the place , less fumey, and they even found another 20rwkw. Still has a bit of a surge just when you're about to stop though i can live with that. Would've been a much nicer car to drive though with the stock cam.

Whilst mine was getting worked on i was driving the boss's GTS. This one's had the Harrop stage 3 kit, and has a bit over 400rwkw. Still maintains its normal manners, though explodes into action when you give it some. My wife could easily drive the GTS. She won't go near the Redline