Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is My Amplifier Blown??

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina Wagon 5ltr
hmm well in the past i had a 600W clarion AMP which couldnt power my 2 subs, how come this one could and did for 2 years whilst the clarion lasted 4 days?

Reaction score
I said decent in comparison to the Boss Audio available here, I never said it was a good amp.

a $40 amp bought off ebay, of any brand is not going to be decent.

may we please see pics of the amps internals?

as someone said, chances are its blown one or more output transistors, so it basically detects a short circuit on one of the channels, and therefore goes into protect.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged

as someone said, chances are its blown one or more output transistors, so it basically detects a short circuit on one of the channels, and therefore goes into protect.

So your trying to say cheap, second hand, reputable stuff off ebay is no good? If i picked up an Alpine or Pioneer amp for $50 on ebay why is that not going to be decent??

American boss is actually an OK brand. So what if he bought it off ebay.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina Wagon 5ltr
The Clarion amp I had was wired by a professional and second hand yes, maybe it was faulty but not wired wrong, it kept going into protect mode then it never powered again.

Ill put some pictures up of the internals of the amp!!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L

See... Always think you're right :p

And trying to steal my diagnosis now :cry: ;)

milkandjuicecomein2litres... Do you have a multimeter with the diode check function? If so, check between the legs of each of those 8 larger transistors.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I cant see why an amp would die because the power cable is too small. You would simply be restricting the amount of power the amp is getting. I can see over-voltage being a problem for an amp, but it should tolerate a bit of under-voltage. When the amp turns off it takes time for the capacitors inside the amp to discharge, and they will continue to supply a lower voltage as they discharge. If the amp died because of under-voltage you would kill the amp every time you turned it off.

I dont think running power cable thats too small will directly blow an amplifier, but seeing as the amp was going into protect everytime a decent bass tone hit (when the amp is pulling max current) then i would say the voltage is dropping below 10.5v or whatever its protection is set on. Anytime an amp goes into protection isnt good and the protection function is there for a reason...to protect the amp.

Edit; milkandjuiceonlycomein2litres - you say you had a 50A fuse on 10awg cable...thats should have been 30A, if your power cable had a short in it after the fuse it wouldnt got really hot and possibly caught on fire before that fuse blew. Take a look at the fuse on the amp, i would imagine it wouldnt have been 50A, maybe 30-40A. Thats a good way to determine what fuse you should be using at the battery, by adding up the fuse/s on your amp/s.