Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is my car modded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete_pumpkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 93 BT1
Whilst reading up about eproms I did find a reference to 'police and HSV'. Have a look at the bottom of this page. What this implies, I don't know..possibly some cop cars had the HSV chip in them?

http://www.geocities.com/memcals/vncals.html

or if you look on the VR page, you also have a few 'police' programs, but I think the 'RFI' stated next to each refers to the radio frequency interference programing that has been previously mentioned a number of times.

http://www.geocities.com/memcals/vrcals.html

Last edited:

jdd

Reaction score
Pete,
As you’ve probably already discovered the eprom used as the memcal in the VN’s ECU is a 27C128 (128K x 8 bits), it uses a plastic mounting block with the eprom legs wrapped around it to make it easier to insert without bending its legs. Being an electronic engineer myself I too thought I could make some gains when I first came across the ecu. Sadly, unless you also have an extensive experience in how engine management systems work it doesn’t really help you.
Being able to change a bit or byte here and there is like playing Russian roulette.
Without knowing exactly what you’re changing and the possible side effects, it could end up being a very expensive experiment.
As far as modified ECU’s in police cars, as previously mentioned some have an increased idle speed (I think V8’s), and the only other mod is RFI shielding.

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
guys can we tone it down a bit :) each person has there own view. Im no expert in modded cars but how about we keep it .. civilised :)

cheers,

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
A user has pointed out this thread, I've closed it for the time being, should anyway wish to discuss this or have it re-opened feel free in sending a PM and we'll review the reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.