Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is my VE Calais a write-off?

womble66

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE CALAIS V - V6
Should have made this a poll........................

I was with GIO and was advised normally its about 80% before its an economic write-off but as stated above (#15) it all depends on the salvage value of the vehicle.

I vote for a write-off due to some panel/door/bonnet damage, need for a full respray and glass. Fingers crossed.

Write-off for safety reasons is another subject altogether and not

bosmonaut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th Anniversay Edition
I was told when my VZ wagon was written off if the damage is 2 thirds or more of the agreed or market (which ever is applicable) then they right it off because its more economical for them to pay you out then sell it at a salvage auction. That is a heap of damage though. would be a full body re spray and several new panels new windows. would have to be 10k damage at least

Logitech47

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS v wagon
meh I'd be wrapped if someone done that to my car, - the smashed windows, the car would get a brand new paint job :) and I would have seen the pricks who done it. Video quality wouldn't be that crash hot at night though. I suspect it should get fixed unless the costs in fixing goes over $10,000 which I doubt.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
OP: are you a cop by any chance?

And in regards to damage and if the vehicle was a write off, PM hi_ryder on here.
Hes a panel beater by trade and would know how much work would be required to fix it.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Thats horrible mate, out of curiosity what do you do for a job?

Drakul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V Calais
OP: are you a cop by any chance?

And in regards to damage and if the vehicle was a write off, PM hi_ryder on here.
Hes a panel beater by trade and would know how much work would be required to fix it.

Yeah I am. Just trying to do my job like anyone else. (Also, I'm the complete opposite of a traffic cop and have never even conducted a roadworthy - interested in real crime).

Thanks for the advice on PMing the panel beater, just sent him a message now.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
(spray painter here) yeah we just did a prado at work that crashed through something, it had structural repairs along with a full respray. id go ahead and say its a fair chance it wont get written off. most of the time second hand glass gets used anyway plus its a home grown car so any parts needed wont be hard to track down. the rest is just labor to fix paint and panel. sorry if i missed it in previous posts, who's your insurer?

sucks too many people out there hatting the player instead of the game, sorry this happened to you just doing your job... i concur, i hope this scum bag gets hit by a bus...

Drakul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V Calais
(spray painter here) yeah we just did a prado at work that crashed through something, it had structural repairs along with a full respray. id go ahead and say its a fair chance it wont get written off. most of the time second hand glass gets used anyway plus its a home grown car so any parts needed wont be hard to track down. the rest is just labor to fix paint and panel. sorry if i missed it in previous posts, who's your insurer?

sucks too many people out there hatting the player instead of the game, sorry this happened to you just doing your job... i concur, i hope this scum bag gets hit by a bus...

Thanks mate. Insurer is RACV.

At least he went over the whole car so it'll look brand new if it (hopefully) isn't a write off. Insurance companies can be fairly touch and go so we'll see how it goes...going to call them today for an update..

My mate said sometimes they try and negotiate with you, for example my car is agreed value of $22k but market of around 19k. So if the damage is borderline on a write off for a 19k payout they might offer you that as an option.

Just thinking for safety reasons now if it might be a better idea to get a new car entirely...

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
Thanks mate. Insurer is RACV.

At least he went over the whole car so it'll look brand new if it (hopefully) isn't a write off. Insurance companies can be fairly touch and go so we'll see how it goes...going to call them today for an update..

My mate said sometimes they try and negotiate with you, for example my car is agreed value of $22k but market of around 19k. So if the damage is borderline on a write off for a 19k payout they might offer you that as an option.

Just thinking for safety reasons now if it might be a better idea to get a new car entirely...

with racv i can almost guarantee it wont be a write off. the problem is theres a reason for that, theres going to be body shops bidding for the job and it will be going to the lowest bidder. hopefully it goes to a shop that knows what there doing and one that has a conscience... otherwise your going to have an even worse time. my shop does 80-90% racv jobs and i can tell you first hand the remove/refit, repair and paint times are all going to be low. that translates to a rush job to make a profit.

the work will have a lifetime guarantee and anything thats not right, just make them fix it...

Zippy7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport
I'm sorry to see that kind of damage.
It's a shame there are people out there who have no respect for other people and their property.
I hope it works out well for you.