Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is My Vn Up Sh*t Creek?

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
ok here it goes.. i was driving along and i stopped to pick up sum tyres from my mate at kmart auto..

i start the car and head up the road.. the car starts making "struggling noises" like its run out of petrol. so i made it to the petrol station and put $50 in.. i started it and drove out and it was stil doing it..

now the car isnt handling very well.. its struggling, sounds like a ride on lawn mower going up the road and is making a knocking sound under the engine(similar to the noise the harmonic balancer makes when its stuffed)

i thought id do a diagnostic and found out my O2 sensors gone so i unplugged it and still nothing.. its practically undrivable and sounds like a sigma

sofar noone knows the problem and i was wanting to find out if anyone knows what it is, ivew been told it might be a misfire, the injectors, fuel filter or that its internal.. HELP ME!!

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
if there's a significant power decrease and some sort of engine knocking/noise id say something is busted internally. what where you doing at the point where this problem started and was it sudden, or did it it happen over a period of driving? is it getting any worse?
by the sounds of your discription id say your not firing on all cylinders, but its hard to say for sure from the the limited info.
also, how does it drive, does it struggle to get up to speed..or stay at speed? or is it ok once over say 60k's?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Before looking internal i'd suggest a fuel problem as it first occured when low on fuel. possibly check the fuel pressure as this has happened to the little brother inlaws VP where the fuel damper stuffed out and it ran like a dog, he pulled the heads off etc and didn't find anything majorly wrong with it other than natural wear and tear for the mileage etc. put it all back and still no better. eventually stumbled on the bung fuel damper. excessive fuel will create pinging etc in the engine

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
well i did a diagnostic an found out my o2 sensor just broke, i asked the mechanics at work and they rekn it sounds like a blocked cat, but it struggles like its out of fuel so i think maybe it is a fuel problem.. it struggles at all speeds, all gears it just sounds reeli bad.. it just happened all of a sudden while driving and it was the same feeling that u have when your out of petrol

bush_basha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS
if its a blocked cat the headers will glow red hot, and it wont rev to its max and sound like ****

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
it does sound like ****! i havnt had a good look at the headers, i havnt had it running long enuff to get them hot, it still might just be a misfire but its looking less likely after i changed all leads and plugs, mayb a series 2 coil pack is in order

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
if ya need any help just give me a yell and we can see if we can work out excactly whats wrong with it;). im just around the corner from you so let us have a look

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
if ya need any help just give me a yell and we can see if we can work out excactly whats wrong with it;). im just around the corner from you so let us have a look

yer actually i mite haha
im taking it down to see my mate daniel at kmart auto to get it on the hoist.. they wont let me do it at work without charging me.. ill take the cat off and see if it runs if not back to square one

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
no worries bro just send me a pm if ya up for it and ill pm ya my number

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
how does a block cat explain the knocking sound from the engine....