Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is now the cheapest time to get a VFII Redline?

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
Like many I imagine, I am hanging on until the MY17 is released to purchase a Redline.

I don't imagine there will be much difference to the MY16, but my current car is still pretty good and is only 3 1/2 years old. To appease the budget committee (read = wife) I am putting the purchase off as late as possible.

I have the suspicion though, that with so many wanting the 'last' commodore, it may be tricky to get a real discount off list. I noticed on this forum recently people complaining the dealers seem to be non negotiable on redline Price.

I looked though each Victorian Dealers webpages tonight and they seem to have far more Redline stock than I have seen before (one dealer has 11), with some pretty keen 'Drive away pricing'.

All 8 examples are auto sedan Redlines, from $56,090 to $58,990.

2016 Holden Commodore for sale in Melbourne - Brighton Holden
2016 Holden Commodore for sale in Cheltenham - Booran Holden
2016 Holden Commodore for sale in Glen Waverley - Glen Waverley Holden
2016 Holden Commodore for sale in Footscray - Alan Mance Holden
2016 Holden Commodore for sale in Vermont - Patterson Cheney Holden

Too early to temp me to buy now, but others might be.

I'm guessing end of year when they are trying to get rid of the 2016 MY17's will be my best bet for a bargain, before the frenzie starts in January 2017.

Thoughts?

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
I honestly don't think you will find them any cheaper at the end of the year. At the moment (as far as I know) they're making the Redlines to orders... so there aren't a stockpile of them (I waited nearly 3 months for mine). I imagine at some stage orders will flick to the MY17 model and they'll just keep going.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
If they are building to order, this tells me that the MY17 will have some changes and Holden won't want old stock hanging around.

BlinK_180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II REDLINE
I was asking myself the same a couple of months ago. From everything I've read and heard, MY17 will be minor changes like colours, wheels etc. MY17 info will released in September, build in October and delivered in November. I've just done the shop around and the dealers all tell me the same, MY17 will go up in price and won't be discounted, you won't find the same deals you do now with MY16. This month, all their marketing attention, cash back and free servicing offers are on the Colorado for tradies and EOFY.
Could be sales talk but that's what they're saying.

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
If they are building to order, why is there so much stock around at the moment?

I read here about no discounts and long waits, and these cars are for sale $4-5k discount on the sicker and in stock now? Something doesn't add up.

Adza, I agree this is as cheap as it will get (thus the title), what I am trying to work out is the best time to buy a MY17.

Cheers

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Do you care about the colour or want any of the factory-fitted options?
If so, there probably isn't a cheapest time, unless you get really lucky with something in stock (eg. a 2016 build MY17 around February next year which happens to be exactly what you want).
If you don't mind about colour or options, then ... probably a 2016 build MY17 around February next year?

PRISEENE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Shopping Trolley. Plus other rides
To redline MY17 or Not To redline MY16 That Is The Question

HI Matey, new around here, my thoughts? Well its like this. I dont believe Holden will let Ford go down in history as building most powerfull production car as a last hora,,
The LS3 mota can get easily 340kw, 5 more that the Miammi Supercharged 5.0 Litre Ford Sprint with Hedders and intake. [Funny about that]
My Gut feel is that there will be a special edition released maybe a Brock tribute or something around the same time the lights go out in Ford.
We should hear something after the financial year around July I suspect.
I agree there is a few VII redlines around in Sydney and the temptation is great, however I will hang back till the end of the year.
Best deal, ?? walk in with a bag of cash $10,000.00 will do it and they will suck your big toe to clintch a deal.
Natrually I can be totally wrong,,,,
Any Rumers out there, ??? :blah blah:

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Like many I imagine, I am hanging on until the MY17 is released to purchase a Redline.

I don't imagine there will be much difference to the MY16, but my current car is still pretty good and is only 3 1/2 years old. To appease the budget committee (read = wife) I am putting the purchase off as late as possible.

I have the suspicion though, that with so many wanting the 'last' commodore, it may be tricky to get a real discount off list. I noticed on this forum recently people complaining the dealers seem to be non negotiable on redline Price.

I looked though each Victorian Dealers webpages tonight and they seem to have far more Redline stock than I have seen before (one dealer has 11), with some pretty keen 'Drive away pricing'.

All 8 examples are auto sedan Redlines, from $56,090 to $58,990.

2016 Holden Commodore for sale in Melbourne - Brighton Holden
2016 Holden Commodore for sale in Cheltenham - Booran Holden
2016 Holden Commodore for sale in Glen Waverley - Glen Waverley Holden

Too early to temp me to buy now, but others might be.

I'm guessing end of year when they are trying to get rid of the 2016 MY17's will be my best bet for a bargain, before the frenzie starts in January 2017.

Thoughts?

Few of those are demos with unknown ks. Did you find any manuals, or didn't look?
It's certainly seems like the best time to get a low price, now all the way up to when MY17 starts hitting dealers. I think the best bet is to wait and see what the MY17 changes are, if you don't want/need them, then you can buy a run out MY16 Redline for likely even less than now. Just watch closely to confirm when they stop taking orders for MY16, if you want any options.
I'm personally holding back to see what special editions come out. I'm hoping Holden release a special edition, like Ford's Sprint, which has some differences actually worth paying more for.

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
Do you care about the colour or want any of the factory-fitted options?
If so, there probably isn't a cheapest time, unless you get really lucky with something in stock (eg. a 2016 build MY17 around February next year which happens to be exactly what you want).
If you don't mind about colour or options, then ... probably a 2016 build MY17 around February next year?

Hmm. Probably looking at 20" wheels as options. I'm hoping the MY17 just gets a nice set of 20's as standard :)

Other options such as rear wing I could live without, and the black out stuff I can get after market.

A mate at work is planning to buy in April when they stop taking orders, but I think that risks both missing out, or paying top $.

Few of those are demos with unknown ks. Did you find any manuals, or didn't look?
It's certainly seems like the best time to get a low price, now all the way up to when MY17 starts hitting dealers. I think the best bet is to wait and see what the MY17 changes are, if you don't want/need them, then you can buy a run out MY16 Redline for likely even less than now. Just watch closely to confirm when they stop taking orders for MY16, if you want any options.
I'm personally holding back to see what special editions come out. I'm hoping Holden release a special edition, like Ford's Sprint, which has some differences actually worth paying more for.

Opps, thought I filtered all the demo models out.

Only looked at Autos, there were a couple of manuals.

The special additions are interesting, but I'm only expecting cosmetic stuff. I cant imagine any performance boosts like the Falcon Sprint.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
7 new special editions from Holden before shutdown from a very reputable source:

VF Final Editions - Holden

HI Matey, new around here, my thoughts? Well its like this. I dont believe Holden will let Ford go down in history as building most powerfull production car as a last hora,,
The LS3 mota can get easily 340kw, 5 more that the Miammi Supercharged 5.0 Litre Ford Sprint with Hedders and intake. [Funny about that]
My Gut feel is that there will be a special edition released maybe a Brock tribute or something around the same time the lights go out in Ford.
We should hear something after the financial year around July I suspect.
I agree there is a few VII redlines around in Sydney and the temptation is great, however I will hang back till the end of the year.
Best deal, ?? walk in with a bag of cash $10,000.00 will do it and they will suck your big toe to clintch a deal.
Natrually I can be totally wrong,,,,
Any Rumers out there, ??? :blah blah: