Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is now the cheapest time to get a VFII Redline?

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Brabham, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Brabham

Brabham Active Member

Members Ride:
    Nitrate VF2 SSVR
    Like many I imagine, I am hanging on until the MY17 is released to purchase a Redline.

I don't imagine there will be much difference to the MY16, but my current car is still pretty good and is only 3 1/2 years old. To appease the budget committee (read = wife) I am putting the purchase off as late as possible.

I have the suspicion though, that with so many wanting the 'last' commodore, it may be tricky to get a real discount off list. I noticed on this forum recently people complaining the dealers seem to be non negotiable on redline Price.

I looked though each Victorian Dealers webpages tonight and they seem to have far more Redline stock than I have seen before (one dealer has 11), with some pretty keen 'Drive away pricing'.

All 8 examples are auto sedan Redlines, from $56,090 to $58,990.

2016 Holden Commodore for sale in Melbourne - Brighton Holden
    2016 Holden Commodore for sale in Cheltenham - Booran Holden
    2016 Holden Commodore for sale in Glen Waverley - Glen Waverley Holden
    2016 Holden Commodore for sale in Footscray - Alan Mance Holden
    2016 Holden Commodore for sale in Footscray - Alan Mance Holden
    2016 Holden Commodore for sale in Vermont - Patterson Cheney Holden

Too early to temp me to buy now, but others might be.

I'm guessing end of year when they are trying to get rid of the 2016 MY17's will be my best bet for a bargain, before the frenzie starts in January 2017.

Thoughts?

2. Adza75

Adza75 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline
    I honestly don't think you will find them any cheaper at the end of the year. At the moment (as far as I know) they're making the Redlines to orders... so there aren't a stockpile of them (I waited nearly 3 months for mine). I imagine at some stage orders will flick to the MY17 model and they'll just keep going.

3. dgp

dgp Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Redline
    If they are building to order, this tells me that the MY17 will have some changes and Holden won't want old stock hanging around.

4. BlinK_180

BlinK_180 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF II REDLINE
    I was asking myself the same a couple of months ago. From everything I've read and heard, MY17 will be minor changes like colours, wheels etc. MY17 info will released in September, build in October and delivered in November. I've just done the shop around and the dealers all tell me the same, MY17 will go up in price and won't be discounted, you won't find the same deals you do now with MY16. This month, all their marketing attention, cash back and free servicing offers are on the Colorado for tradies and EOFY.
    Could be sales talk but that's what they're saying.

5. Brabham

Brabham Active Member

Members Ride:
    Nitrate VF2 SSVR
    If they are building to order, why is there so much stock around at the moment?

I read here about no discounts and long waits, and these cars are for sale $4-5k discount on the sicker and in stock now? Something doesn't add up.

Adza, I agree this is as cheap as it will get (thus the title), what I am trying to work out is the best time to buy a MY17.

Cheers

6. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Do you care about the colour or want any of the factory-fitted options?
    If so, there probably isn't a cheapest time, unless you get really lucky with something in stock (eg. a 2016 build MY17 around February next year which happens to be exactly what you want).
    If you don't mind about colour or options, then ... probably a 2016 build MY17 around February next year?

7. PRISEENE

PRISEENE New Member

Members Ride:
    VSII Shopping Trolley. Plus other rides
    To redline MY17 or Not To redline MY16 That Is The Question

HI Matey, new around here, my thoughts? Well its like this. I dont believe Holden will let Ford go down in history as building most powerfull production car as a last hora,,
    The LS3 mota can get easily 340kw, 5 more that the Miammi Supercharged 5.0 Litre Ford Sprint with Hedders and intake. [Funny about that]
    My Gut feel is that there will be a special edition released maybe a Brock tribute or something around the same time the lights go out in Ford.
    We should hear something after the financial year around July I suspect.
    I agree there is a few VII redlines around in Sydney and the temptation is great, however I will hang back till the end of the year.
    Best deal, ?? walk in with a bag of cash $10,000.00 will do it and they will suck your big toe to clintch a deal.
    Natrually I can be totally wrong,,,,
    Any Rumers out there, ??? :blah blah:

8. EternityDre

EternityDre Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MSE #385
    Few of those are demos with unknown ks. Did you find any manuals, or didn't look?
    It's certainly seems like the best time to get a low price, now all the way up to when MY17 starts hitting dealers. I think the best bet is to wait and see what the MY17 changes are, if you don't want/need them, then you can buy a run out MY16 Redline for likely even less than now. Just watch closely to confirm when they stop taking orders for MY16, if you want any options.
    I'm personally holding back to see what special editions come out. I'm hoping Holden release a special edition, like Ford's Sprint, which has some differences actually worth paying more for.

9. Brabham

Brabham Active Member

Members Ride:
    Nitrate VF2 SSVR
    Hmm. Probably looking at 20" wheels as options. I'm hoping the MY17 just gets a nice set of 20's as standard :)

Other options such as rear wing I could live without, and the black out stuff I can get after market.

A mate at work is planning to buy in April when they stop taking orders, but I think that risks both missing out, or paying top $.

Opps, thought I filtered all the demo models out.

Only looked at Autos, there were a couple of manuals.

The special additions are interesting, but I'm only expecting cosmetic stuff. I cant imagine any performance boosts like the Falcon Sprint.

10. SnowDoggyDogg

SnowDoggyDogg 2ltr? = Only milk & juice

Members Ride:
    Gen F GTS
    7 new special editions from Holden before shutdown from a very reputable source:

VF Final Editions - Holden

11. DanielSS-V

DanielSS-V Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V Redline
    Normally I would agree with you, but this case might be different. The Redline are the most popular because of the LS3's. It might simply be that Holden wants to maximise the return on these cars as they are in demand and also not further undermine HSV's business case. Remember HSV are trying to flog their own LS3's at the moment. There is also bound to be more limited edition models before the end. Having to much standard stock in the yards could be a problem for that reason too.

12. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Have I got this wrong: didn't I read somewhere that LS3's have all been built, they're an old engine, and that Holden has dibs on the last ones (if "stockpiling" is inaccurate)?
    If that's so, and LS3 cars are selling, any chance they'll try to keep build numbers down (to some degree) in order to maximise profit on each remaining engine?

13. markalan1two

markalan1two Smile and wave boys !!!!

Members Ride:
    X3 3.0 BMW, GenF2 GTS, Corolla ZR, Audi S3 Cab
    read this yesterday too

14. crew_man

crew_man Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
    If I recall correctly, the LS3 is still in production in Mexico. Production of the 6.0L finished last year (which was one of the big reasons behind going to the LS3).

For VF, GMH decided to reduce production and stockpiling to ensure that their production was not greater than the demand, which was previously forcing discounting at dealerships to clear stock.

Building to order ensures that margins remain high and that they are producing the volume and specification of vehicles that the market wants.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  15. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    I thought Holden's engine-plant closed down a while back?
    *boom-tish*

16. PRISEENE

PRISEENE New Member

Members Ride:
    I Knew it..
    Save your lettuce I recon they will 340kw the LS3 redline,, clinching the title as the most powerful local car made clinching the title from Ford, [not including HSV or FPV]just a hunch..
    Keep a ear out as your blokes are mostly closer to the action in VIC..
    Maybe a bulk order for the applicable car ??:surprise:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  17. crew_man

crew_man Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
    Possibly, but I doubt it. The reason that the LS3's in the HSV's are rated at 340kw is because they use a different rating system from Holden. Actual KW's are lower.

Plus it already has the title of the most powerful 'Commodore' (they don't count HSV with that title)

18. Super Coach

Super Coach GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR

Members Ride:
    HT GTS, VN S PAK, VS S PAK, CV8Z, VF2 SSVR, MSE
    Interesting read, I was planning on going in at the end of this month and trying to strike up a good deal on a jungle green as it is getting discontinued for MY17 and I have seen the colour list for MY17 and nothing really excites me. I think that hopefully you would be able to get a good deal for EOFY, But I am going on a tour of Holdens at the beginning of July, so I might see or hear something that might want to make me wait until MY17. But if its not as good as Jungle Green, im going for a SSVR MY16.

19. PRISEENE

PRISEENE New Member

Members Ride:
    A tour, excellent. Would it be possible to get on board with that tour, or do you have any details to call to organise ?? Lead Times ?

20. eman1

eman1 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Redline
    Also the 340kw ls3 from hsv does not meet euro 5 emissions. All cars sold after November 1st 2016 have to meet euro 5.

Current ls3 does however in the hsv tune it does not. I don't think there will be power changes.