Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is now the cheapest time to get a VFII Redline?

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
Have you driven a VF Redline? Big difference in handling compared to a SS.

Agree, standard SS/SSV are much more aligned with comfort, much softer than a Redline not only in regards to the spring/shock calibration but also the sway bars and don't forget the 275 rears. The chassis is still there on the standard models, great balance, but Holden have just set them up soft. Lots of roll in the front end, they still hang on but excessive roll saps all of your confidence. Nothing some springs/shocks/sway bars can't fix, but the fact is from factory they are much sloppier compared to an SSVR.

W375 redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
W375 s2 redline
Agree, standard SS/SSV are much more aligned with comfort, much softer than a Redline not only in regards to the spring/shock calibration but also the sway bars and don't forget the 275 rears. The chassis is still there on the standard models, great balance, but Holden have just set them up soft. Lots of roll in the front end, they still hang on but excessive roll saps all of your confidence. Nothing some springs/shocks/sway bars can't fix, but the fact is from factory they are much sloppier compared to an SSVR.
Hi there : this is 100% correct mate : the ss and ssv r almost calais v like in the way they handle : they r designed to b comfortable like the calais but with a slightly stiffer set up (fe2 vs fe1.5) to give them a slightly sportier feel : the redline on the other hand is a designated track car set up : ive driven most of the variants n i can tell u that the difference in handling between redline n the other variants is like chalk n cheese : in the xr8 vs redline track test the ford got beaten with ease by the redline in this area ☺

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Even looking outside of the somewhat parochial Australian motoring media, so look at UK tests of Vauxhall VXR8's and US tests of G8's & SS's, and it seems that Holden got the basic chassis right with the VE. Engine weight behind the front axle, stuff like that. By comparison, read reviews on XR6T's, and they talk about how awesomesauce the powertrain is & how it shows-up the shortcomings in the platform.

On a development-budget-to-results basis, the Falcon probably wins; Holden were just allowed a massive budget for development, for the VE, probably an unprecedented one. Good Things certainly came out the other end. :)

Marco_VESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF2 Redline M6
My dealer already warned me that my long term deposit means nothing. Their dealer principal has made it clear that the limited editions will be first come first serve, i.e., people who are willing to pay full price when they're launched will get them over people like me, who have had a deposit down for 2+ years. I just have to hope 1) They're reasonably priced at launch, or 2) They don't sell out and prices start to fall. I'm guessing the latter, having seen what happened to the HSV Black editions.

That's interesting. I'm now starting to seriously consider trading my beloved but dog-eared VE on a VF2 Redline and was hoping to get in as close to the end of production as possible, but on the other hand I have no desire to pay a premium.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If they're only planning on building to order, I suspect you'll be "paying a premium" next year ... or, at least, you won't be getting the 15% discounts people seem to be routinely getting at the moment.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
If they're only planning on building to order, I suspect you'll be "paying a premium" next year ... or, at least, you won't be getting the 15% discounts people seem to be routinely getting at the moment.

So how is it going to work? They have closed off ordering for this years production, if I read correctly (robably by TimandHayley) that Holden are going to build 'em as they see fit, the cars are allocated to dealers based on their sales record. It's then up to dealers to sell what they are allocated, or swap with other dealers for stock. So if I understand right that you can't order a specific build, but if the dealer can match what you want with an allocated car then everyone is happy, if not hard cheese. Build numbers are pretty much already determined as power train is a limited resource in either V6 or V8.

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
The discounts will come down to demand next year, based on what dealers want to give off a car. Holden just lowered the factory bonuses this month on pretty much every VF, except for the SV6 Black edition. There used to be an additional bonus for Automatic's and most other VF's, this has now ceased, which is reflected in the Build and Price part of Holden.com.au (the base bonus is now only $1,000 on manual and auto). There was also a substantial $7,000 bonus of Caprice-V which has now been cut to $3,500.

As of next year I believe there will be no factory bonuses on any VF's and they'll probably restrict demo claims on them as well. A lot of the time dealers were holding deals until the end of the month and then putting it through and claiming an end of month "no hold no count" demo bonus (which a customer never knew about). This all ceased as of 31/10/2016 because of the huge number of demo vehicles in dealer stock and as of yesterday dealers can no longer register any Commodores for the rest of the year and claim any type of demo bonus. Only really old stock (6 months+) or new models (MY17 Astra, Colorado etc) can be registered as demo's now and attract a demo bonus.

It's going to be interesting times ahead! There's rumours of massive cost cutting start next year in the marketing area.

theott

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline
Tim, will that effect contracts signed already. My car is due 2nd dec and signed contract on the 3 October. He said it will be done as an early release demo??

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
Early release's are handled by the Holden staff in each respective state. Essentially a dealer puts on a car as a 'demo' and the normal holding period is 45 days before this matures. When an early release comes into play, basically the dealer calls up and asks for the 45 day restriction to be lifted and 99% of the time it's given an ok on the spot, no questions asked as long as the dealer isn't doing it on every demo. As of yesterday they've tightened up on this across the board. Dealers will only be paid demo bonuses on MY17 Colorado, MY17 Trailblazer, MY17 Astra and MY17 Barina. There won't be any extras at the end of the month either, plus dealers need to stick strictly to their allocation.

Sounds like your dealer is in a bit of pain if they've agreed to an early release on your deal, because Holden now won't pay, based on what has been sent out yesterday.

Trofius

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline sportwagon
The discounts will come down to demand next year, based on what dealers want to give off a car. Holden just lowered the factory bonuses this month on pretty much every VF, except for the SV6 Black edition. There used to be an additional bonus for Automatic's and most other VF's, this has now ceased, which is reflected in the Build and Price part of Holden.com.au (the base bonus is now only $1,000 on manual and auto). There was also a substantial $7,000 bonus of Caprice-V which has now been cut to $3,500.

As of next year I believe there will be no factory bonuses on any VF's and they'll probably restrict demo claims on them as well. A lot of the time dealers were holding deals until the end of the month and then putting it through and claiming an end of month "no hold no count" demo bonus (which a customer never knew about). This all ceased as of 31/10/2016 because of the huge number of demo vehicles in dealer stock and as of yesterday dealers can no longer register any Commodores for the rest of the year and claim any type of demo bonus. Only really old stock (6 months+) or new models (MY17 Astra, Colorado etc) can be registered as demo's now and attract a demo bonus.

It's going to be interesting times ahead! There's rumours of massive cost cutting start next year in the marketing area.

yep discount on redline has dropped from 2100 to 1000, plus it looks like the October offer of 5 years warranty and full comp insurance is only available on sv6 black models now. so no special offers on the higher spec cars.