Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is premium a necessity for SS?

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
To be honest I can't say I've noticed any difference in power between the three grades but I would say that fuel consumption on premium is slightly worse.
Yes Holden do say 98RON is recommended but the fuel filler cap has a label saying that "E10 suitable". I am more concerned to know if using E10 for long periods can harm the engine.

it says E10 compatible because it is designed to also run on it...... mine ran ok, didn't run like $hit, but you could feel the power loss and i reset the trip computer.... the car gets on average about 11.9 litres per 100 when the wife drives it, and most of that travel is on the highway. With E10 and her driving it the same as always, it got 13.5 for the week, and i only drove it once.
But as i said before, the V6 VE ran great on it and it always averaged about 10.9 per 100 on it or normal unleaded.
I thought i saw once a servo with 95 grade E10, but haven't seen it since.... i might have been mistaken.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
i worked it out the other day on how much extra it costs me to run 98,

4 bux more to fill the tank on it.

it comes down to warranty, if something happens and your not using the correct fuel then holden wont fix the problem.

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
But E10 is also the correct fuel (filler cap).

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
i was more reffering to the use of 91 and 95 fuel. if your using e10 then there wouldn't be an issue

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
I'd be inclined to use Premium where possible. It can't do any harm. Not all about power but moreso keeping the engine clean. Can be said for most cars.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Mm easy answer. Would you crap for breakfast, lunch or tea?
Same when using unleaded in your car.
For the lousy what $15 or so, the extra mileage you would get in Premium. Unleaded is no cheaper in the long run.

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
I am unsure whether ULP or premium give better mileage over E10 and from my limited usage neither gives better performance. My main concern is not to cause damage to the car.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Then just run the premium in it.

I run premium through my VT, mainly because that's what it was tuned on. And, with fuel prices what they are at the moment when you think about what you get for your $$, the couple of extra bucks you spend at the pump are well worth it in enjoyment down the road.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I've been running them on normal unleaded for years. Never tried the E10. I did a trial with premium 98 octane for a few months a few years ago. I found there were minor power and economy improvements but not to overcome any extra cost.

Reaper

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
My VE has never seen a tank of anything other than Premium, the cleaner burning fuel helps in a lot of ways that you do not see.

Cheers.