Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is premium a necessity for SS?

gargougaflex

My other car isnt hybrid
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SSV Redline Sportwagon + VZ Monaro CV8 M6
There's also 95 octane premium available at BP or Shell. it's normally 8 cents~ish more per litre than 91 oct but is good if you dont want 91 or 98...

KARMA 6L

mmmmmm 6.0L
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SS Manual
I've only ever run my SS on 98, V Power or Ultimate. From what I hear, the money you might save by putting 91 in at the pump you will chew up getting your injectors cleaned down the track

cdb19531955

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
I use Premium Unleaded for my VY SS (Gen 3 v8). The economy on a long trip improves from 11 litres/100kms to less than 10 litres/100kmsl.
The car's cruising range increases by over 50 miles.
If the price differential is less than 10% between ULP and Premium then your'e ahead using Premium.

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
At my last service the injectors had to be cleaned. I was told that this is standard service item at the two-year mark. Is this right or perhaps my injectors got clogged up with dirty fuel?

VZMAX

I THE GREAT
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz svz
Ive always used 98 octane on my vz v6..and one of my mates at work was using 91 octane on his..we calculated the overall cost over the period of 3 months and 98 octane comes out to be a better choice...can't remember the exact figures now as it was more than an year ago...but definitely 98 octane is the better choice..:thumbsup:

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I used Mobile 8000 (98 Octane) because its just a cleaner fuel, the additives in Mobile 8000 seem interesting and when you pair that with a little better economy and power the extra what 10 cents a litre is worth it seeing as it makes up maybe an extra 5 bucks at the pump.

Also my car is tuned for 98 so... I dont want it pinging like ****.

New2Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
Likewise, for ages now there were reports (today tonight and the likes) on don't touch ethanol then whammo a couple of years later there was this massive turn around basically say it's safe, more economical and there's no reason not to use it.

Now sure times change but personally I wouldn't put the stuff in my car, it simply doesn't feel right.

The scare campaign was run by the oil companies who, at the time, were facing a 10% reduction in income if the Government allowed 10% synthethic fuel because they did not (and still don't I believe) have any distilling facilities in Australia for the manufacture of enthanol. At the exact same time, the exact same oil companies in the USA and Canada were running campaigns saying how wonderful E10 is and how responsible they (the oil companies) are in caring for the environment. The USA & Canadian branches of the oil companies had set up ethanol distilling plants years ago so were not faced with the same 10% reduction in income as their brothers were in Australia.

I guess time will tell if the long term use of E10 is bad for an engine. Personally I can never see me keeping a car long enough to find out.

BTW, out of all three grades my Calais performs the best on E10 and no I don't work for an ethanol company.

mmrdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 series 3 Monaro & VF V8 Calais V Wagon
Premium is necessary for the SS if you want 270kw! It will still run ok on normal unleaded.

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
lemme get this right, you have no speed limits and are paying 22cents AU a litre for petrol. i know where im moving to.

Just make sure you don't tick the box that asks
"are you Jewish?".
They won't let you in!

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Once read an article written by a retired oil company executive in which he stated, in answer to this very question, that he would never use standard unleaded in his vehicles as the higher octane of 98 unleaded is a cleaner fuel and by virtue of that fact, will keep the fuel sytstem and engine cleaner. Apparently it will also keep the engine oil a lot cleaner between changes. Some engines are designed to run on higher octane. As for E10 at this stage I wouldn't touch the stuff despite Holden having endorsed it's use. Bit like cigarette smoking. many years ago no one gave a hoot and it was very socially acceptable to do so. Now, with the irefutable evidence available re the dangers to one's health from smoking (including 'passive' smoke), intelligent people won't go near the stuff.