Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is premium a necessity for SS?

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
Should I be using premium (98RON) petrol in my VE SS? I have been using E10 and 'standard' unleaded petrol (91RON) and so far have not noticed any problems. Occassionally, I put premium in when I'm feeling flush but this is only once every six months.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
It's hard to give a direct answer, there are soo many variables involved it's not funny.

Me personally I have never had a problem with BP Ultimate so that's what I've used in the past 3 cars.

There are horror stories around the place where people have purchased 'shonky' fuel and has cost them dearly for repairs as Holden wouldn't come to the party, all to save a few bucks at the bowser (IMHO).

Another reason my car was tuned on premium so I'll stick to it for the ~ dollar it's going to cost when I fill up, I don't own a V8 to be worried about fuel.

Some people say they get better economy, runs smoother, whatever the reason it comes down to personal preference and the vehicle.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
Holden specifies 98 in the SS and it is tuned and designed to run on 98.
It will run on normal ULP, and it will also run on E10, but on E10 i noticed a drop in power, and fuel consumption went up about 1.5 per 100. It didn't run rough or give any problems. I get the wife to fill it with 98 every week now.

vtclubby195i

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt clubsport 5L 195i
i hava vt clubby and in the hsv manual it recomends 91 octane

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
I get the wife to fill it with 98 every week now.

LOL At her expense?:thumbsup:

I used e10 in my stock rb30e VL and it ran like an absolute b**ch...
Took two tanks of 98 to make it feel right...

E10 cant be good for an ss... even regular would be better

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
To be honest I can't say I've noticed any difference in power between the three grades but I would say that fuel consumption on premium is slightly worse.
Yes Holden do say 98RON is recommended but the fuel filler cap has a label saying that "E10 suitable". I am more concerned to know if using E10 for long periods can harm the engine.

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
Holden specifies 98 in the SS

the manual says so .

in KSA we only had the 95 octane, but only 3 years ago they brought up 91. nothing more only those 2

from the manual : "when using 91 octane fuel the car will run normally , but expect some drop in performance and fuel economy "

I tried 91 on my 96 Chevy Caprice (Lt1), it ran like s*** ! it lost about 20-30% of it's power, plus it used more fuel than ever

but when I have to pay 0.16USD for 1 liter of 95 octane , who cares :D

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
the fuel filler cap has a label saying that "E10 suitable". I am more concerned to know if using E10 for long periods can harm the engine.

Likewise, for ages now there were reports (today tonight and the likes) on don't touch ethanol then whammo a couple of years later there was this massive turn around basically say it's safe, more economical and there's no reason not to use it.

Now sure times change but personally I wouldn't put the stuff in my car, it simply doesn't feel right.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
the manual says so .

in KSA we only had the 95 octane, but only 3 years ago they brought up 91. nothing more only those 2

from the manual : "when using 91 octane fuel the car will run normally , but expect some drop in performance and fuel economy "

I tried 91 on my 96 Chevy Caprice (Lt1), it ran like s*** ! it lost about 20-30% of it's power, plus it used more fuel than ever

but when I have to pay 0.16USD for 1 liter of 95 octane , who cares :D

lemme get this right, you have no speed limits and are paying 22cents AU a litre for petrol. i know where im moving to.

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
Now sure times change but personally I wouldn't put the stuff in my car, it simply doesn't feel right.

I agree and I know this is what the service centre is going to say if I ask their advice whereas the salesman will say whatever you want to hear.