Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is satnav not an option for VF Calais Sportswagon ?

RustyNail

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 UTE
Genuine Satnav can not be fitted by the dealer it can only be done on the production line.
You can get some after market satnavs fitted for about $1200
In my opinion genuine satnavs are poor value for money with usually very expensive map updates compared to portable units offering free lifetime map updates

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Sat Nav is definately an option on the base calais. Option code is UHM. The problem at the moment is that the factory has closed down for the next 3 weeks and this forced Holden to push everything in build to Sequenced, which means no changes are allowed.....

Everything up until the end of October build is non-changeable and I believe that November onwards could possibly be MY15. Nothing has been confirmed. So yes you can get Navigation in a Calais, but the dealer isn't offering it to you because otherwise they wouldn't be able to supply you with a vehicle in any fixed timeframe or be able to guarantee any pricing......

Thanks everyone for excellent information - especially timandhayley

I'm very pleased I joined this forum

How am I going to get this sorted?

Obviously I will contact the dealer first thing Monday morning and I am not happy at all

I paid $500 deposit and I will walk away if this can't be resolved.

What is my15 is that a change in the option code or something?

I see that to have satnav you have to have the DVD player, and that the aerial base is different because the windows have metal in them, and the satnav is connected to aerial base for better reception. Is that something a dealer could retrofit?

I'd appreciate any advice on how to handle this.

I'm good at dealing with people and I know that getting angry is not usually the best solution
MY15 is the 2015 model. There will probably be some improvements over 2014 model but these have not yet been announced.

I am actually one of the few who like the Holden Satnav. Maps are very expensive. The maps and system itself are IMO no better or wose than aftermarket systems. The real benefit is better integration than you will get aftermarket.

However, given the long wait in this case, unless you are getting other factory options I think I would be taking the car without Satnav or if you can afford it get the V. Alternatively wait and see what MY 15 brings. Maybe Satnav will be standard!

ozzymac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CalaisV
As suggested why not just upgrade to the V option if you can afford it?

The satnav works good in it, you get the directions displayed in the Hud which is really good. Which you probably wouldnt get with an aftermarket fitting.

cheers

Stingraynut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Sportswagon
Unfortunately the Calais V Sportswagon mrrp is about $7,500 above the Calais Sportwagon and that pushes it too far above my budget.Even if the dealer dropped the difference to half. Especially as I don't want the 19" low profile wheels and the wagon doesn't get the 9 speaker system anyway.
(I also have a 1988 Corvette and my back doesn't like low profile tyres! I've had to soften the suspension to compensate)

I hadn't intended to buy a new car, I found a 6 month old Calais sportswagon for $38,990 drive away. I told the local dealer and they gave me a deal that persuaded me to buy new for the first time in 45 years of car ownership!

I do see the value of the HUD with integrated GPS, makes you wonder why all cars don't have that as standard, it's as much a safety feature as the sensors and airbags.

I've spent a while online and it seems there's not many people happy with the factory satnav - updates appear expensive and very late.

I'm beginning to think I will be better off with a Garmin/Tom Tom/whatever - but where would be the best place to put it? could the sound be integrated somehow?

The help I get from Forums always amazes me, it's so much appreciated, it's helping me make the best decision.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Unfortunately the Calais V Sportswagon mrrp is about $7,500 above the Calais Sportwagon and that pushes it too far above my budget.Even if the dealer dropped the difference to half. Especially as I don't want the 19" low profile wheels and the wagon doesn't get the 9 speaker system anyway.
(I also have a 1988 Corvette and my back doesn't like low profile tyres! I've had to soften the suspension to compensate)

I hadn't intended to buy a new car, I found a 6 month old Calais sportswagon for $38,990 drive away. I told the local dealer and they gave me a deal that persuaded me to buy new for the first time in 45 years of car ownership!

I do see the value of the HUD with integrated GPS, makes you wonder why all cars don't have that as standard, it's as much a safety feature as the sensors and airbags.

I've spent a while online and it seems there's not many people happy with the factory satnav - updates appear expensive and very late.

I'm beginning to think I will be better off with a Garmin/Tom Tom/whatever - but where would be the best place to put it? could the sound be integrated somehow?

The help I get from Forums always amazes me, it's so much appreciated, it's helping me make the best decision.

On another note if you have a bad back the suspension is probably more important than the Satnav. The Calais has the FE1.5 which is pretty good but for some weird reason Holden put the FE 1 softest/ most luxurious suspension in their base model. Your probably not intersted in an Evoke but someone may still have a new or near new International which is basically an upgraded Evoke. If you're not worried about second hand you could get a VE Equipe or Berlina Intrnational which were basically Berlinas with lots of Calais gear.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
It's your call, but as has been stated the integration of the factory sat nav, and no cables etc makes them far superior to after market. I use voice command for the sat nav through the steering wheel controls and it works a treat. E.g. "Navigation entry - city,street, number" and it's done. I then get sat nav directions through the stereo, HUD and dash screen or nothing it's all optional. On the touch screen, the home screen or what ever can display and the sat nav screen pops up when there is a turn etc coming up. It even gives graduated distances to the next turn etc in the HUD. Very helpful! You probably should at least drive one with sat nav before you decide.

I have a Tom Tom I've used in other cars and in comparison to the factory one it's a nuisance.

Just tell the dealer what you want. Surely there's a new Calais Sportwagon with sat nav in a dealership somewhere?

Good luck

Stingraynut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Sportswagon
Thanks 426Cuda, it's good to hear a vote for the factory SatNav and I know what you mean about the wires etc.

I mainly use GPS for digital speed readout and I also use the speedlimit readout to warn me if I'm speeding - on the tomtom they show up side by side.

I assume the factory satnav has those features?

Are they displayed on the screen that has the speedo and tacho?

I paid a deposit on Saturday and signed the contract, having been told satnav wasn't an option.

I believe that misinformation is a breach of contract or something, but I don't enjoy having to go through all the dramas that usually occur when something goes wrong with a deal. I did ask for a cooling off period until Monday but they said I couldn't have that on a new car.

So I and they will be in damage control if i ask for a satnav to be installed. I'm in no hurry for the car, so a delay is no problem for me, but if the factory start the my15 upgrade in November then what happens to the price deal we struck?

The dealer didn't have a sportswagon of any kind to try and their Calais was for some reason 'locked up out the back'.

I'm in Cairns Qld and it's our well known local dealer.

Noeleter, thanks for the advice re suspension.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
It's hard to shift stock vehicles with options so I wouldn't imagine there's too many around. If you want to lock in a price you'll have to drop sat nav or go the V, MY14 is done with production so you can't order one and the MY15 RRP's haven't been announced.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
It's your call, but as has been stated the integration of the factory sat nav, and no cables etc makes them far superior to after market. I use voice command for the sat nav through the steering wheel controls and it works a treat. E.g. "Navigation entry - city,street, number" and it's done. I then get sat nav directions through the stereo, HUD and dash screen or nothing it's all optional. On the touch screen, the home screen or what ever can display and the sat nav screen pops up when there is a turn etc coming up. It even gives graduated distances to the next turn etc in the HUD. Very helpful! You probably should at least drive one with sat nav before you decide.

I have a Tom Tom I've used in other cars and in comparison to the factory one it's a nuisance.

Just tell the dealer what you want. Surely there's a new Calais Sportwagon with sat nav in a dealership somewhere?

Good luck

When I bought mine the dealer told me there was no way in the world he could get me one with a satnav in it within a couple of months. He had a car in stock with everything I wanted except satnav. I went out to have a look resigned to the fact that I would have no satnav. When I looked at the car it had satnav in it.

Stingraynut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Sportswagon
Smashfist -unfortunately the price IS already locked in. I've paid a paid a deposit and signed contract on saturday, having been told satnav was not an option.
Noeleter, may your good luck continue, and some of it rub off on me :)